Helicoil taps
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Helicoil taps

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Helicoil taps

Are helicoil taps and coils all universal and interchangeable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    Are helicoil taps and coils all universal and interchangeable?
    I think so.

All the Helicoil taps I used were marked with the diameter and pitch, plus the initials "STI", which stands for Screw Thread Insert.

I understood that to mean that somewhere out there, there was a Standard written up which defined the sizes and tolerances for those taps.

Supposition on my part, but we dealt with Helicoils from 2-56 on up to over an inch, pretty regularly, and had a LOT of those taps on hand.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. If they are in fact Helicoil then they are.

4. Likes machinistrrt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based on over 45 years experience of ''Helicoils'' - in all their forms and makes etc etc.

Assuming I've used the right helicoil and or tap for the thread (and we've all messed that one up ) I've never had a male thread that wouldn't fit a properly executed ''helicoil ''

Just my 2 cents YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you think about it, the final thread form and size dictates the wire form and size, and so all "helicoils" with a particular internal thread would have to have the same external thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    If you think about it, the final thread form and size dictates the wire form and size, and so all "helicoils" with a particular internal thread would have to have the same external thread.
    Agreed - up to a point, .........because life has taught me the world can be a very strange place, .......and the fact one manufacturer MAY (as in just might??) differ slightly from another is far from uncommon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Agreed - up to a point, .........because life has taught me the world can be a very strange place, .......and the fact one manufacturer MAY (as in just might??) differ slightly from another is far from uncommon.
    Yep, this above, indeed.

If you look at the inserts you have a limited field of dimensions that you have available to work with, the logical choice seeming to be a diamond with 60 degree angles both sides, evenly split between the inner and outer 'wedge' shapes.
    But so far, I have no proof that some joker at one of the insert manufacturers, did not decide to dick about with the dimensions so you were stuck buying from them and only them.

Anyways, I figure that we had 6 or maybe more different insert and "Twin-sert" systems at my last place of employ, and as long as a fella would RTFI (Read the Frikken Instructions), there was not a lot to go wrong.

9. Likes Limy Sami, Lewie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only time I buy Helicoil brand stuff is for the coils themselves.
    Taps we usually buy Guhring,OSG or Emuge STI taps.

Recoil brand is said to be interchangeable, but I've had bad luck with them in the past and don't buy that brand anymore.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are also the tanged and tangless variants of inserts. But they use the same tap. Different installation tools however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly as Mtndew said. Buy the Heliciol inserts, but buy better quality STI taps. Other similar inserts haven't always been truly interchangeable, we have had random installation problems with "copycat" inserts..

13. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Exactly as Mtndew said. Buy the Heliciol inserts, but buy better quality STI taps. Other similar inserts haven't always been truly interchangeable, we have had random installation problems with "copycat" inserts..

Totally disagree! Convert to KATO tangless STI's and problems will dwindle. To many morons are in a rush and break off (or just bend out of the way) helicoil tangs, in a rush, and F-up the break or otherwise ruin the STI installation such that a fastener won't pass. And I have to get it fixed.

Tangless, or just GTF outta the way!

KATO does #0-80, #1-64, & M2 tangless STI's if you do small instrument stuff. As well as larger STI's.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kato tangless definitely better, much easier to install. About taps, I found that helicoil taps from McMaster didn't do so well. The 10-32 completed thread whas about .005" dia too large, and the raw threads looked horrid under magnification. I ended up thread milling.