What's new
What's new

Hello , I need a Machinist

Wi11is

Plastic
I'am Michael on Carriacou isle West Indies

Have a old Jacobs Wind gen still working for me from 1980 until yesterday.
Hearing a clunking noise i find a 1" steel blade shaft loose in the cast iron hub.
These shafts (3) should be shrink fit But my hub has 3 mm pins (not factory) .
The shaft has some play in all directions. So must be removed first.

First i broke off flush the pin (shaped like a C & very brittle).
Next i drilled out around the pin and now have a big hole .75" deep to the shaft with the pin broken flush to shaft.

The shaft still will not come out with lots of force.
So the 2.5" pin must go through the 1" shaft and into the casting and doesn't come out.

Not sure how to proceed.
Can't drill shaft.. can't drill pin it is too hard just brakes drill bits & don't want to damage shaft too much.
have a cutting torch but ?

any help would be much appreciated

At this point I would suggest getting it apart as best you can and start making parts.

From your description it sounds like you need to make a new shaft, bore out the hub and make a bushing to fit the shaft to the hub.

Pix are needed.

I dug around inside one, older than yours, found that there were a couple of styles/models thru the years.

jacobs1.jpg just like mine called a blade actuated governor hub

Attachments

• ja22888.jpg
    ja22888.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 141
yes but I seem to be stuck at the getting it apart part

Your probably going to just half to cut it apart and go from there. Even with pictures it's going to be hard to tell you what to do.

Your patent drawing is showing up about 2 x 3 inches on my screen so I can't tell anything from it.

a hard brittle spring pin in a blind hole can be tricky.

It is sometime possible to "hydraulically" remove one. If you can find or make a punch that fits inside the pin somewhat tightly, then you can make a slurry of newspaper and water or spit or oil or anything liquid and pack that slurry into the hole until it is very full, then quickly drive the punch in the slurry of paper. This may hydraulically drive the pin out. Or it may squirt out through the gap and into your eye. Wear eye protection.

Possibly pottery clay is a better alternative. anything viscous enough to not easily come out through the small gaps but just flowable enough to act as a fluid under the punch pressure.

A spring pin breaks drills but may have good luck with a high speed carbide burr.

You may successfully anneal or shrink the pin with a welder. Put a bare stick welder electrode inside the pin (while off) Briefly turn the welder on. The local short circuit heat may anneal the pin... or at least weld it to the rod and you can pull it out. experiment with very short duration of on time. you do not want to weld it all together!

You drilled around the pin, can you grip the pin with vice grips? If so then heat the cast iron hub. When it is hot enough then grip the pin and pull and turn . This may remove the pin.
The hub being cast iron and the main shaft steel, heavy smack with a cold chisel may crack the hub. Make a new cast iron hub and install the blades. Cracking the cast hub prevents any damage by burning it off.

Back