What's new
What's new

hello new here, need help wiring a furnas drum switch

jimmy_bolfa

Plastic
Hello everyone, new here need some help wiring my furnas R44 drum switch to my 1 1/2 hp baldor motor L3514T. Am wiring it for 115 volt on my drill press.

my motor is wired

8-9 together
3-1 to black power wire
2-4-5 to white power wire

I have tryed a few different ways of wiring it and ill get it to run in reverse or forward but not both?

Baldor motor diagram for your motor does not mention lead 9, but for low voltage
leads 1+3 and 2+4 are always connected together and leads 5 and 8, the start
windings, are used to reverse the motor. Drum switches have 6 positions, labeled
1 thro 6 (natch) and for your motor positions 2 and 6 are connected to the 115Vac
line. Then 1+3 motor wires are connected to position 2 on the switch and motor
wires 2+4 connect to position 5 on the drum. Position 5 and 3 are shorted together
on the drum. motor wire 8 goes to position 1 on the switch and motor wire 5 goes
to position 4 on the switch. If the motor goes the 'wrong' way when the switch is
thrown just reverse motor leads 5 and 8 on the switch.
Can't find the simple diagram but page 15 at this pdf has the drum diagram:
http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Machine Control/0140CT9201.pdf
and your motor is at page 9 here: http://attachments.temcoindustrialpower.com/product_info/Baldor-L3514T.pdf

On the drum switch pdf, fig 1 is the switch configuration, lever to L, centered and lever to R, and fig 3 is your motor connex to the switch.

Here is one of many posts on this forum on the same question with a few diagrams:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/9a-motor-drum-switch-wiring-help-205264/

Hello everyone, new here need some help wiring my furnas R44 drum switch to my 1 1/2 hp baldor motor L3514T. Am wiring it for 115 volt on my drill press.

my motor is wired

8-9 together
3-1 to black power wire
2-4-5 to white power wire

I have tryed a few different ways of wiring it and ill get it to run in reverse or forward but not both?

I am not familiar with the motor in question, but 115 volts implies to me that the motor is single phase. If so, you'll probably need to check out the baldor literature on how to reverse it (if it is even reversible - some single phase motors are not!). It usually has to do with changing around the start and run windings.

drum switch

Did not work, it sounds like its not getting enough power and then it blows my 15 amp breaker. Also my drum switch is not numbered 1-6 but i guess it goes in order from top left to right. Do you think think this motor can not be wired to a drum switch or ....? Got any other sugestions. thanks for the replys

heres some pictures

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29,120
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8,545
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4,394
OK

So the drum switch is wired like this

1-2
3-4
5-6

left to right, top to bottom.

Switch terminal 1 install motor lead 5
Switch terminal 2 install motor leads 2,4,and your "neutral"
Switch terminal 3 install motor lead 9
Switch terminal 4 install motor lead 8
Switch terminal 5 install motor leads 1 & 3
Switch terminal 6 install your "hot"

Presto, it works.
If the direction does not match what it says on the drum switch move motor lead 8 to switch terminal 1 and motor lead 5 to switch terminal 4.

thankyou

Thankyou brentworker, it works. I have asked a bunch of different people and it never worked out. I had it all wrong. thanks again

Back