What's new
What's new

Help buying a precision Lathe

rajhlinux

Cast Iron
Anyone have any recommendation which metal lathe is a good one from alibaba or what not?

Applications that I'll be using the lathe for:
-Precision gears
-Precision water connector with threads of all kinds (Both American and British)
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics

Note: I do not want to play with the lathe gearing system just to change simple threading. The lathe machine needs to have an automatic gearing system to change threading pitch.

Edit:
Budget: $5K.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Last edited:
I guess I didn't... so does it mean that there is no lathe out there that can suit my needs?

Buying used with measuring tools very likely $10,000, just a decent lathe might be $5,000
Good would be to sit down with an experienced fellow and explain your first few products to get an idea what you might need, then pay someone to help you choose machines and equipment.
For a cold turkey stat-up likely $100K could be spent pretty darn quick.
likely have to hire an experienced person ru=ight off the bat to make some products.

You might find that a lathe is not even the best machine to stat with depending of your product..

Thanks for the insight. $5K for a CNC lathe? If so where would be the best place to find a used one other than craigslist. Didn't know that I'll need to pay someone to buy a lathe for the above applications I need it for, but spending $5K on lathe seems like it is wise to pay someone for the investment.

QT: {Precision water connector with threads of all kinds (Both American and British)
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics]

Much/mostly made with very high production machines that kick out parts for pennies each.. hard to get into the market of standard catalog stuff.
Few-ups and specials and custom are a good money maker but you have to be known so customers can find you.

What I mean is...you can't look on alibaba for a lathe and expect to come out on top. You also can't buy a lathe (new) for $1600 and expect it to be anything other than pure junk. Even a used lathe, very unlikely. You need to set a higher budget and from the onset refuse anything Chinese made.

You can often lease a machine for way less than buying one...but you have to know what kind of macine and equipment you need to finish a part. Then you should know that you will be able to sell it/them.

What you're asking for is a beating.

Needed more than a like! :D :D

OP, if you need to thread, and don't want to change gears, your $1600 budget is not even close. You realize a box of threading inserts will be over $100, and the toolholder for them will be about $100 give or take. Then you need OD turning tool(s), and inserts for them. It might cost you $1k to get started, unless you are going with HSS, but that is another discussion.

...Maybe send out an RFQ for a few parts if you are trying to develop some type of product. Don't forget to post pics with dimensions and tolerances if you go that route...

Needed more than a like! :D :D

OP, if you need to thread, and don't want to change gears, your $1600 budget is not even close. You realize a box of threading inserts will be over $100, and the toolholder for them will be about $100 give or take. Then you need OD turning tool(s), and inserts for them. It might cost you $1k to get started, unless you are going with HSS, but that is another discussion.

...Maybe send out an RFQ for a few parts if you are trying to develop some type of product. Don't forget to post pics with dimensions and tolerances if you go that route...

Peanuts compared to the cost of learning how to use it or paying for someone who knows!

Quality parts require experience and money, if one is slightly lacking it can be made up for with an excess of the other but.......if one is missing many interesting things will happen but success will not be one of them.

Anyone have any recommendation which metal lathe is a good one from alibaba or what not?

-Precision gears
-Precision water connector with threads of all kinds (Both American and British)
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics

Note: I do not want to play with the lathe gearing system just to change simple threading. The lathe machine needs to have an automatic gearing system to change threading pitch.

Budget: $1,600.

Have you ever ran a lathe before?

-Precision gears
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics

Budget: $1,600.

All these replies.....:skep:

And yet, the OP has not indicated sizes involved, materials, intricate contours needed/not, nor quantities expected to produce.

$1600 lathe could make the likes of a very nice special tap wrench to be sold on Ebay.
Likely one could make $20K a year with such a product so learning about bussiness and the lathe.

Yes, a decent $600 lathe could do the same.
Likely need make and sell 20 a week,,and once set up and running you could kick out 20 in one day.

All these replies.....:skep:

And yet, the OP has not indicated sizes involved, materials, intricate contours needed/not, nor quantities expected to produce.

Fair enough Doug, but I *think* when most of us think lathe we are thinking something like a Hardinge, or a small - medium size cnc (Haas St20'ish size). I would think OP is not asking for a monster lathe for that price, but I suppose he might be looking at a benchtop toy...

Back