What's new
What's new

help choosing a multi stop fence

Rob F.

Diamond
I have been looking at one of these multiple stop fence set ups and there are 3 that I found in a quick online search.
It will be used on 2 machines, so moved back and fourth as job requires, scotchman 6509 ironworker for punching and drill press for drilling holes in tube. 6 or 7 feet is all I would need.
Here are some videos of what I have found. I think I like the geka and scotchman type that reset themselves by gravity over the flip stop that goes on unistrut.
Does anyone use these type stops? Pro and con of each?
Thank you in advance.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Interesting products. How fine is the resolution on the Scotchman product - it looks like you click it into place in predetermined increments - ??

I have spoke to them and the blocks are spring loaded and just clip on where you want them, unlimited adjustability that way, they do have separate right and left versions of the stop blocks, mirror images of each other.
I do not know what keeps them from sliding if they get a good bump from the stock being worked.

I have spoke to them and the blocks are spring loaded and just clip on where you want them, unlimited adjustability that way, they do have separate right and left versions of the stop blocks, mirror images of each other.
I do not know what keeps them from sliding if they get a good bump from the stock being worked.

Generally the geometry of such spring loaded locking devices is arranged so that any bump force is leveraged to increase the lock grip. If done well and the bump forces are within reason the locking device doesn't shift and the stop stays put. Myriads of ways of doing this sort of thing. Probably plenty of examples in collection book series like Ingenious Mechanisms for Designers and Engineers, Engineering Mechanisms by Artobolevsky et al. Always seems to be room for one more version!

Having mirror image left and right side stops is a pretty good indication of things being done that way. If bump increases the grip sliding the other way will release it. Obviously makes setting easy. Put the master in place. Slide the stop up to it. Stop locks. Setting done. Time to run up the machine and make some money.

Clive

Back