What's new
What's new

Help..Custom tool source: 10mm spot face with .159 drill

matthewlee

Hot Rolled
Hi PM

Im looking for a tool that would allow me to tap drill 10-32 (.159") and also create a .4 or 10mm spot face.

The hole is going radially in a diameter and Im trying to run it in a live tooling lathe. I dont have enough live holders to do all the operations I need and this tool would make it doable.

Should I be looking at a custom tooling place or has someone seen a spotface or counterbore that can be added to a drill bit?

Thanks
Matt

I'd say custom grind - 1 piece tools are more reliable.

BUT ………………….

Can you not use an off the shelf 5/32 2 flute end mill to drill and interpolate the hole then do the spot face?

I am using a C-axis machine. Interpolation is out.
Thanks

I'd say custom grind - 1 piece tools are more reliable.

BUT ………………….

Can you not use an off the shelf 5/32 2 flute end mill to drill and interpolate the hole then do the spot face?

I would think (but don't know for sure) that in the greater St. Louis area there should be a few companies willing to make step drills for your application. I worked for Spiral Step Tool (Chicago area) in the 1980's and that was a regular part of their standard product line. Somebody with a surface grinder and/or a T&C grinder could do this with a 13/32 stub drill (less flex) without too much trouble. I've made step drills/spot face now and then for similar applications. A good tool grinder hand could even include the c'sink on the same drill, eliminating the extra operation (although more expensive). It's all about quantity, cost, and savings. Hope this helped.

Back