What's new
What's new

OT: Donating a Car to Charity

Richard Rogers

Titanium
My father has a car that he's fed up trying to sell. It runs, but that's about all you can say for it. Anyhow, can someone maybe enlighten me as to the ups and downs of donating a car to charity?

Richard

Theres no real down side unless you are given a reciept greater than the book value of the car. The charity's usually have a deal with a junkyard and a used car dealer, first look goes to the used car guy, if hes not interested, it goes to the junkie. The cars are not repaired, or given to needy family's, just converted into cash. My wife worked for Volunteers of America, (like the Salvation army) this is what they did.

Get something in writing that says there is NO guararntee of any sort and that you are not responsible for ANYTHING that happens after it leaves your possesion. When the dumb ass that ends up with the car puts oil in the master cylinder and kills hinself in the wreck, you hopefully wont have any trouble of it.
Just looking out for you man,
Jim

This has come up in the past. I'm a director of 2 non-profits, one is a 501(c)3. We will not assign a value on donated property although we may suggest you don't exceed certain good faith limits based on the particular item. We give a receipt, you get your best estimate and fill it in to the best of your conscience, and don't lie to the IRS because they are happy to investigate these particular deals due to all the abuses in the past. As Tom notes, (unless it is a true collectible or unless the charity honestly needs it as a user where the valuation can be higher), you usually won't personally make any more money off taxes than could be gotten by scrapping it for cash money at one of the recyclers. OTOH, the situation can be variable, and maybe some such as a high school or community college automotive program may have established parameters that allow them to put in an amount that is more favorable since in some cases they will be using the carcass directly for practice, parting it out themselves, or even refurbishing it.

Locally we have a "Pick-a-Part" recycler who gives what sometimes seems pretty good amounts for a drive in junker.

smt

Get something in writing that says there is NO guararntee of any sort and that you are not responsible for ANYTHING that happens after it leaves your possesion. When the dumb ass that ends up with the car puts oil in the master cylinder and kills hinself in the wreck, you hopefully wont have any trouble of it.
Jim
You worry too much ;)

I have donated several cars in the past. If it was in good condition they were more then happy to get it . They would not take my 1979 though too much of a gas hog ...LOL

I am still driving it... it is a good work car ..

I put the usual diclaimers

Originally Posted by enginebuilder

"Get something in writing that says there is NO guararntee of any sort and that you are not responsible for ANYTHING that happens after it leaves your possesion. When the dumb ass that ends up with the car puts oil in the master cylinder and kills hinself in the wreck, you hopefully wont have any trouble of it.
Jim"

Few years ago, I bought a 1986 Marshall 23 Catboat via sealed bid from local charity for $7,000. When I went to the marina to get it ready for sailing away a couple was on the dock sort of glaring at me and it turned out they were the ones that had donated it ! They had just got word of the auction and came down to investigate.

Turns out they had about $20,000 in the boat* and had donated it to the Marine Institute (nothing to do with Marine Corp btw) on the theory it would have been used to train the wayward boys at the institute in sailing. Best I can tell, the institute tells everyone that and they sell everything. Needless to say previous owners were PO'd.

Moral of story, never donate for touchy feeley aspects beyond basic auction or scrap value unless you make sure intended use is in writing.

*which is why I wanted it.... entire electrical system had been redone just 2 years prior, engine rebuilt, new this, new that.. I could tell alot of bucks had been put into it.

I've always considered people who donate cars, or just about anything besides food to be suspect....it's not hard to sell a car of any sort so when I hear of donations I wonder just why someone would do that. It's just fishy somehow.

I see these women with $400 hairdo's drive around in their 7 Series BMW's with a Neiman Marcus shopping bag full of designer clothes...they pull up to Salvation Army and 'donate' the duds and you can just see them so proud that they get their receipt for $200 that they can give to their tax accountant which will net them a tax savings of probably $71.

Then I drive by these Salvation Army drop boxes and it's always there - the twin size, moldy, 25 year old mattress with more stains than you can count propped up against the box. You have to love these kind souls who donate to the needy.

I've always considered people who donate cars, or just about anything besides food to be suspect....it's not hard to sell a car of any sort so when I hear of donations I wonder just why someone would do that. It's just fishy somehow.

Yeah I don't get it either. In the case of the aformentioned boat, they could have sold the thing fairly quick for $14,000 and given the money to the charity and both parties would have been better off. But I guess this couple just wanted it gone quick for some reason, with the fantasy it would be "helping the boys"

In 96 i dontated my 90 corolla that i had ran the piss outa finally. It was valued at 500 with blown head gasket. I checked with IRS and they said it wasnt worth deducting, because dontations like that need to be above 1000 or so for the year before it realy does anything for you.

I was gonna try an experiment and see if i could ebay the entire car piece by piece, but at the time i needed the parking space. Maybe next time.

When I donate or sell something and want nothing more to do with it, or anything to come back on me, I'll cut off the plug, or pull the battery cable. That way it is sold in need of repairs, or at least not in operating condition, and I'm not responsable.
With everything I've sold that way there's only been one person who's taken issue with it.

I've no problem with donation as donations. I do have issues with some of the organizations that profit off those donations.

Ken.

Never considered myself suspect, but I'll be glad to explain. Okay, here's why I'm for donating it. It was for sale for 1500 bucks. It needs work. It uses oil. People call, I drive down to supermarket it's in front of with "For Sale" sign on it, and they test drive it. Then you never hear from them again. Pop has no road exposure to sell it from.

Last straw was Sunday, when I got a call from people with "cash in hand."

I left friends to meet this person. When I got there, it was a group of about six. The appearance of them was that of meth users. Turned out one of them had a two party check they'd have to cash to buy the car. The other party whose name was as payee of the check was not present, and a "friend" was with this woman to look over the car. He assured me he had authority to buy if he liked the car.

My brother had a key to it, and he's a notary, so we waited for him to get there for both those reasons.

After a test drive, the guy told me he'd take if "if it was me buying"

With that, I told him I'd go get the title, and my brother could follow me in the car for sale, and he'd notarize the deal, and make the exchange. "Buyer" said he would pay me with his own money, and the other people would sign their check to him.

Then, he picks up the cell phone. Story changes, suddenly. Now he says the guy playing cards needs to see it because if he didn't like the car, it might be sticky getting the check signed over.

To put it mildly, my infamous temper comes out. I said forget it. Told my brother that I'd follow him to his house if he'd drive the car for sale. Suddenly, here comes the "wait a minute" routine from these people who'd killed over an hour of my time. I told them not to bother.

I realized that these jerks would NOT take care of this aged car, and it would probably last ten days. Last thing I'd need is six (and maybe more) meth heads mad at me and knowing where my business is, where I live, what I drive, and who I am.

SO, the thing is NOT worth the trouble of selling it.

My brother said it was worth it to drive up and see me standing in the midst of this gaggle of meth heads, with their sunk-in and toothless faces, frazzled hair, and weird stares. A deputy sheriff car drove by once, giving this bunch a look a familiar look too.

The insurance on it has since expired, and I had to turn in the tags. Now even a test drive wouldn't be possible (or at least ill-advised). It's sitting at my brother's house waiting for a tow truck. Main thing I want to know is if it can be deducted for Blue Book value.

I'm calling my accountant now.

Richard

See what I mean Richard? It's not all gravy.

Put it on Ebay. Put it on Craig's list. I find it hard to believe that you live in a generally poor state and can't find a buyer for a cheap truck. Plus you live next to North Mexico which is full of Mexicans who are looking for just such a vehicle.

Put it on Ebay. Put it on Craig's list. I find it hard to believe that you live in a generally poor state and can't find a buyer for a cheap truck. Plus you live next to North Mexico which is full of Mexicans who are looking for just such a vehicle.
He just stated the biggest problem is the hassel of the selling process
itself due to the lowlifes such a vehicle attracts. Only suggestion I can think of is to see if he can get it into a dealer auto auction (assuming it won't smoke too much when revved up during the auction ;) )

Yeah, Milacron. It smokes like George Burns. BUT, it does it after idling a few minutes. After you drive it, all that stops. However, that would be suicide in an auto auction where the vehicles are slowly paraded through the ring.

I think it could be a good car with some TLC, and mechanic work, but lowlifes like were gawking at it would just tear it up and blame me. I've dealt with mad lowlifes before. You don't want to do that. NEVER have a fight with someone that's got nothing to lose.

"complete vehicle"

Anyhow, can someone maybe enlighten me as to the ups and downs of donating a car to charity?

The only thing I can add is one of the "ups". I donated a Toyota van after an engine fire (quite an exciting experience at the tollbooth, let me tell you) and was able to claim the full value even though it wasn't running because it was technically a "complete vehicle", meaning it had tires, an engine, etc. For me it was easier to just donate it and be rid of it rather than try to sell it.

The only thing I can add is one of the "ups". I donated a Toyota van after an engine fire (quite an exciting experience at the tollbooth, let me tell you) and was able to claim the full value even though it wasn't running because it was technically a "complete vehicle", meaning it had tires, an engine, etc. For me it was easier to just donate it and be rid of it rather than try to sell it.
Moot point as the laws have changed since then. Now you can only claim what it eventually sells for via the charity.

Donate it to a trade school

Had an old 59 ford I drove the last 2 years while I was working my way through college. Graduated in 1975. Car not worth much. Reverse didn’t work in the automatic transmission. Best offer was $50 bucks. Guy made me mad.

I called the local trade school and asked if they wanted it. They came and drove it away. I stopped buy a year later. Instructor said it had had several hundred brake jobs. Front end had been taken apart and rebuilt dozens of times. Kids had taken the body off and put a manual transmission in and were driving it around the lot like that.

They had a car where they had all the time in the world to work on it. Nobody cared if the screwed something up. They could take the body apart and show the kids how everything went together.

Not sure if I deducted anything or not.

Tom

Back