What's new
What's new

Help deciding on Tumbler media

Chips-Ahoy

Aluminum
Trying to deburr machined parts using a tumbler. Right now we have some green cone shaped media that is not getting the job done. The parts have decent size burrs on them. If I use the current media and run the parts for 2 hours, then my parts are almost deburred.

Material : 17-4 PH Annealed

Im completely new to this so lay it on me... What do I need to use and what do I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to deburr machined parts using a tumbler. Right now we have some green cone shaped media that is not getting the job done. The parts have decent size burrs on them. If I use the current media and run the parts for 2 hours, then my parts are almost deburred.

Material : 17-4 PH Annealed

Im completely new to this so lay it on me... What do I need to use and what do I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

IMltdE 2 hrs for big burrs ain't bad going.

What is the media material? If it's plastic media, 17-4 is going to take a looooong time. I use a white ceramic for 17-4. Parts are small, so I use a small barrel tumbler, and when possible I tumble overnight. A large vibratory with lots of media would be faster, but current process is good enough.
What type of tumbler are you using? A small vibratory bowl is also going to add to the time for this material........
OTOH, tumbling aluminum is great with plastic media. :)

Your best bet is to call a media supplier and ask if they will finish a few sample parts for you and make suggestions.

C & M Topline is one, Kramer Industries is another, Raytech is a third, searching will find more.

Green media sounds like it might be plastic, may need something heavier for 17-4, especially for big burrs.

It's a bit of an art because of all the variables, the vendors are the best source of help I think.

Great info...thanks everyone. Yeah I think its some type of plastic media. I will call and speak with one of the suggested suppliers.

One other to try is UM Abrasives. They are in the Fort Worth/Dallas area, fairly near you. Any one you go with should be able to run samples and thus recommend the best stones for your job. We use light weight ceramic media in our small tumblers as it circulates better.

Back