Help with deep face groove tool selection - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by specfab View Post
    Perhaps the offer of a 3D-printed part would work. I'm sure ABS will be almost as good as 303.
    Oooh, now you're being naughty.

2. Likes Bill in PA, gusmadison, specfab liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in PA View Post
    I cannot say what this gauge is used for (other than it is a go, no-go). Neither I nor my customer can make a change to the drawing. It is either make as is or no-quote. My customer can pass along suggestions, but that is all.

Thanks,

Bill
    If it is just a gauge, do gauges need to be particularly strong? A 2 piece shrinkfit is at least doable with good finishes. Still pretty tight tolerance for that large of a diameter on a material with high expansion rates.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Govnmnt work, Ten million, you might get the order.
    I'm a BSME, with 38 years experience, and still couldn't wrap my head around that print at first.
    We use 300 series SS all the time for heat resistance. If it's getting hot, someone should be more specific bout alloy. The difference in thermal expansion between 304 vs 310 at a mere 1000 F dwarfs the tolerances. Maybe there are other properties of 300 SS I don't concern myself with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NRDock View Post
    Govnmnt work, Ten million, you might get the order.
    I'm a BSME, with 38 years experience, and still couldn't wrap my head around that print at first.
    We use 300 series SS all the time for heat resistance. If it's getting hot, someone should be more specific bout alloy. The difference in thermal expansion between 304 vs 310 at a mere 1000 F dwarfs the tolerances. Maybe there are other properties of 300 SS I don't concern myself with?
    Unfortunately I cannot shed any light on the reasons for the material selection. I only assume it would be to prevent corrosion resulting from handling.

Most of the parts that I make for this customer are ones that are designed in-house. Much nicer arrangement since the engineer is very easy to work with and gladly listens to my input.

There may be better ways to make this part, but I am stuck with the drawing as-is.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am going to no-quote this on Monday.

I shouldn't be too concerned for turning down this job. This customer has sent other jobs to another shop when I could not meet delivery. However, when they needed the same part made again, they gave me the work. I even got the parts made by the other shop to make some revisions.

The contacts that I deal with there are very reasonable folks.

I'll make recommendations to make these parts easier to manufacture. We'll see what happens. I know there is a 6 week requested delivery on these parts once the contract is awarded. I don't know if that is enough time for any engineering changes. The date on the drawing is Feb. 2019, so I doubt there will be any changes made since it seems that this project has taken some time to put together.

Thanks,

Bill

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in PA View Post
    The contacts that I deal with there are very reasonable folks.

I'll make recommendations to make these parts easier to manufacture. We'll see what happens. I know there is a 6 week requested delivery on these parts once the contract is awarded. I don't know if that is enough time for any engineering changes.
    I believe you, they’re not the ones who thought it out. Fools fear facts.

Also I’m certain the design will be changed to two elements. I’d first turn the inner part, solid, fit a ring on it, clamp the two immobile, drill one radial bore, remove the ring, finish both parts, then ream’em for a cylindrical pin, and assemble.

Here’s a sizeable expanding mandrel: 5000 Series