What's new
What's new

Help desiging die for pressing sheet metal rib

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I am making a male/female die for pressing some 24ga. sheet metal into a hat section. 3/8" wide by 5/16" deep. I am using a single cylinder 50 ton press and will try and press the top die as close to center as possible. My question is the 2 guide posts will be fastened into the bottom die and will be 15" on center. What should be the length of the bushings in the top die that will move on the posts? Is there a formula for distance between guide posts and the length of the bushings?

Thanks
Ken

Sort of. You'll need to determine how much offset from center the punch could be worst case. From there you can determine the load on each edge of the bushing from the resulting torque.

Though chances are bushing load will not be the limit, and what you would run into would be alignment issues. To reduce misalignment, use two bushings spaced far apart, with the lower bushing as close to the punch tip as possible (or even past it).

I would personally use two 1/2" diamater by 3/4" bushings spaced 2"-3" apart on each side.

You can look at a danly die set for your overall design, size and number of posts is dependant on your detail/feature and part. What exactly are you trying to do, rough sketch? Are you trying to actually bend or draw form? Whats the material? How many parts are form? Depending on detail and positioning accuracy you may not have to go through coming up with or making a die station, a top die and thick chunk of rubber may work.

Back