Help with DoAll bandsaw model ML problems - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

telling me how to oil/lubricate
    All I ever lubricated was the speed adjust bevel gears (spray on open gear lube) and the vari pulley - which seems to be never oiled or oiled way too much making a giant gooey black mess of everything under the rear cover.

I fill up the oil cup on the vari pulley axle once every six weeks - and part of this process is to wipe down the pulley parts and vari belts if oily

When I rebuilt the partially destroyed three speed tranny when I first got the machine, I filled it up with gear oil. I have never checked it since it does not leak.

Many of these machines were sold with the unique ROUND two speed tranny - and some were sold with NO tranny

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok - pulled the welder panel off and there's definitely a transformer behind it.
    26.jpg

It seems like I need to trace/beep all these wires out and draw up a schematic of how this thing is currently wired internally. One question though - are you guys saying that if the mains power to the machine is 240 or 480 3P the welder still needs separate single phase 240V? Sorry for being a noob on this. Or are you saying that the "internal" wiring just needs to be consistent with the mains power to the machine? So if we run 480V to the machine both the main motor and the welder panel transformer need to be configured to accept 480?

Since the main motor appears to be wired for "low voltage" currently and the shop we bought this from said it worked fine it seems like it should "notionally" work if we just change the 480 mains to 240? We have both available but we had the electricians run 480 to the doall because (1) the tag said 400V and (2) the machine next to it (a mill) runs on 480.

I hate to put multiple questions in the same post but when I pulled the welder panel off it also looks like there are two separate tubes running to the welder motor - one appears broken at the top and is just hanging in free space (but the other side appears to run to the back of the motor) and the other is attached to the front of the motor and runs to what looks like a filler cap on the top left corner of the welder panel. Are these for motor bearing lubrication?

Tube attached to back of motor (top and bottom):
    36.jpg38.jpg

Tube on front of motor:
    41.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ff2018 View Post
    Ok - pulled the welder panel off and there's definitely a transformer behind it.
    26.jpg

It seems like I need to trace/beep all these wires out and draw up a schematic of how this thing is currently wired internally. One question though - are you guys saying that if the mains power to the machine is 240 or 480 3P the welder still needs separate single phase 240V? Sorry for being a noob on this. Or are you saying that the "internal" wiring just needs to be consistent with the mains power to the machine? So if we run 480V to the machine both the main motor and the welder panel transformer need to be configured to accept 480?

Since the main motor appears to be wired for "low voltage" currently and the shop we bought this from said it worked fine it seems like it should "notionally" work if we just change the 480 mains to 240? We have both available but we had the electricians run 480 to the doall because (1) the tag said 400V and (2) the machine next to it (a mill) runs on 480.

I hate to put multiple questions in the same post but when I pulled the welder panel off it also looks like there are two separate tubes running to the welder motor - one appears broken at the top and is just hanging in free space (but the other side appears to run to the back of the motor) and the other is attached to the front of the motor and runs to what looks like a filler cap on the top left corner of the welder panel. Are these for motor bearing lubrication?

Tube attached to back of motor (top and bottom):
    36.jpg38.jpg

Tube on front of motor:
    41.jpg
    The transformer you have identified is part of the welder. It is ALWAYS powered by 220 as I stated in my last reply. Please read my last reply carefully. It has all the electric answers you need. If you don't understand it, find someone that understands electrics to help you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    The transformer you have identified is part of the welder. It is ALWAYS powered by 220 as I stated in my last reply. Please read my last reply carefully. It has all the electric answers you need. If you don't understand it, find someone that understands electrics to help you.
    Thanks for the help steve-I. I'm not a licensed electrician but I am somewhat familiar with electrical systems...essentially I know how to work safely on electrical systems but I definitely need community help with the wiring/configuration details.

You said in your last post that the "control voltage transformer" is under the mains fuse block? From the outside it doesn't look like there's anything behind the fuse block and I just looked around inside the machine with mirrors and a flashlight and I don't see anything behind mains fuse block box. To be clear, you're saying it would be behind this?

42.jpg

From tracing as much of the wiring as I'm able to (it's kind of a rats nest) it looks to me like the 480 mains are run through fuses and then are branched off - the bundle of three are run to the main motor and then two of the three legs are run through a separate fuse block box (on the back) and then run to a bunch of different places (I suspect the blade welder transformer, the power outlets on the front of the machine, etc.). Is it possible that this machine was set up to run on 240V three phase and the only transformer on it is the one on the blade welder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your machine is different than the 1612. Where ever the 3 power leads go from that box is where the main contactor is. It is that contactor that is powered by the 110 volt control transformer. Take picture of that.

It is likely that the machine is setup for 208 Volt (there is no such thing as 240 volt 3 phase power in the USA), but because the the ID tag says that it is a 480 volt machine, there must be a step down transformer somewhere. You said there are service outlets on the front of the machine? Are those outlets 110 volt? If so, where are they powered from? Follow the wires.

You said the 480 volt wires go to the motor. They cannot. They will go the power contactor (relay) Where is that?

To find the control voltage transformer, just follow the wires from the OFF switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    Your machine is different than the 1612. Where ever the 3 power leads go from that box is where the main contactor is. It is that contactor that is powered by the 110 volt control transformer. Take picture of that.
    It will be a couple weeks before I can look at my ML but as I recall it doesn't have a contactor. The leads go to a 3 pole push button switch located near the top wheel cover. That switch turns the motor on and off. The welder is always under power as long as the disconnect on the back of the machine is turned on. What else is there? The light. There is a small transformer on top of the disconnect box that creates 110V for the light. That's about it. Simple as can be.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just gonna say, never take the previous owner's word for it that "it worked fine". toss that out the window and test, verify. they may have never used the blade welder. review the wiring diagram on the transformer, take nothing for granted