What's new
What's new

Help With Drilling Round Stock

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
Easy job & lots of them, 15/16 round clevis pins gets a 5/16 hole in one end. What would be a fast way to send the drill thru without center drilling first. The hole does have to centered & they aren't giving me much room for drifting over. Stub legnth drill, Dewalt pilot tip drill, or ? I haven't had much luck using drill bushings in the past.

Drill a snug clearance hole for the pin in a piece of 3/4" plate.

Cross drill 5/16" to intersect on center.

Grip the edge of the plate in a vise while holding the plate in alignment with the drll in the drill chuck.

Slip the pin into the hole to a stop and drill. The plate will last for maybe 50 holes before the walls wear enough to affect centering.

Want to get fancy? Cross drill from another angle and tap for a flat point set screw.

Don't need no steenkng drill jig.

Isn't this a case where split-point sharpening and 135° points will help you from wandering off?

Do the holes on each end have to be aligned? A precise distance apart?

Lay 30 of the pins down on a horizontal mill table, clamp them on top, and put a flat on all 30 pins in one operation to give you a flat to start your drill?

What problems have you had with drill bushings? I used to have to drill offset holes on rounds and a fitted drill bushing worked ok (my precision requirements may have been less than yours, though).

Jim

The hole is 1 end only but still has to align with other parts. My luck with drill bushings is the waded/jamed chips. I do like Forrest idea, slip'em in & drill

Allied Drill makes twist drills with thru-coolant and replaceable carbide inserts for the cutting edge. They don't need any center-drilling. And yes, they go down to 5/16", IIRC. Of course this might not be the right choice, depending on the machine you're using.

No affiliation, etc.

Back