What's new
What's new

Help figuring out which insert for Facemill

crzypete

Hot Rolled
Hi All, I've acquired a pair of face mills that would be useful to have running for me, but it all seems greek to me as to what insert to use.

The First is a Mitsubishi that is in immaculate condition. I can't tell if it takes a round insert (trying to judge by the pocket) Google is less than helpful. The number on it is SG20R0506E.

The second is an older VR/Wesson. Number on it is FHR6-9004-5. It had an insert with it that is a parallelogram.

Pics attached to help

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter

facemills - 3.jpg
facemills - 4.jpg
facemills - 2.jpg
facemills - 5.jpg
facemills - 6.jpg

We have an old Mitsu facemill like that(SE445...) , it takes SEHN 1203 inserts , 1/2 square x .125 thickness and I think 7º relief . Yours may need 1604 size depending on pocket dimensions .

I found this page- translated from portugese! Looks like Jeff is onto the insert. I don't fully understand all the numbers/ letters. I think the R is Round and the P is positive. Not sure on the numbers as much

Google Translate

The SG20R0506E takes a RGEN2004SN insert.
Very special.
.787 IC round, 3/16 thick, 30 degree positive.
The lead milling cutter designer from Mitsu at this time was very much a leader into the high shear world so special insets often used.
A P or an E clearance angle insert will not work.

The Wesson FHR-9004 takes a MEC-632.
A 86 degree parallelogram, 20 degree positive .750 IC, 3/16 thick, 1/32 rad on two corners, also a sort of special.
A nice cutter body in that the cam pin allows you to adjust the insert heights so that you can set one intentionally proud or tweak them all the same.

Limited sources, supply and grade selections on both inserts.
Bob

Thanks Bob, that is awesome info.

Do you have any idea how the Mitsubishi will perform should I fork over the cash to find the inserts? Is it intended for specific metal? I want to run it on an older Manual Cincinnati mill with powered overarm. CAT 50, but max speed of around 1000.

Peter

Back