What's new
What's new

Help finding 15mm precision ground tubing

dgcope

Cast Iron
Howdy All.

I'd like to make some probe shafts for my height gage which are 15mm diameter hollow (presumably for less gravity sag). I've searched and can find no source for ready-made stock. I'd like to avoid the expense of making it. I don't need much...say 1 meter at most. The finished parts will be 150mm long. Wall is not important 2, 3, 4mm all fine...

The important part is that it be precision OD, straight, and preferably at least a little hard.

There are linear rail hollow shafts but 15mm does not seem to be a standard.

Any ideas where to find some material?

Many thanks!

Don

Thompson offers 15mm precision ground shaft, usually the case is only ~3mm thick, so you could drill the center out if desired.

Thomson, 60 Case Metric, 15 MM CTL, 60 case shafting, metric

Their pricing by mm didn't work for me, at worst you can call them and ask what sets of 150mm shafts would cost.

[I know you'd prefer not to drill, you might check into having 5/8" hard drawn stainless tubing centerless ground to size]

Good ideas, thank you. I considered boring out the center of case-hardened shafting, but was concerned about it not staying straight and/or going out of round.

The stainless tubing idea holds more promise in my mind...If anyone knows a grinder who will take small jobs at reasonable fees, please let me know.

hydraulic piston rods, 15mm should come hardened (case), and hard chrome plated and ground, I'm just not sure if metric sizes will be readily available in US... and they are inexpensive

Back