What's new
What's new

Help finding absorbent pads

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I am looking for some absorbent pads to soak up all kinds of spills. I am not wanting the oil only pads that I have no trouble finding but something more akin to a giant paper towel. It needs to be thicker, stronger, and bigger (at least 15x17) than a paper towel, and be able to soak up oil or water. I am thinking I want to buy them 100-200 at a time.

Do these have a generic name? Where can I get them?

As said above Pig is the big player, McMaster has lots of options too.
If you soak up any oil and many machine coolants you can run into regulations as to how to dispose.
In a big plant these have to go into a very special and labeled dumpster on the floor. People audit compliance and the fines large.
I'm sure you would not want to violate any EPA or local rules. What to do with that used diaper?
Unless tested clean In most cases it is hazardous waste. Toss it in the trash and you could be killing your grandchildren.
Bob
(get the intent with a smile and a warning, what do you do)

An old man went to the doctor, and took his wife with him because he was hard of hearing.

The doctor examined him, then said,"OK, Mr. Jones, I'll also need you to give me a blood sample, a urine sample, a stool sample, and a semen sample."

"What did he say??!!" said Mr. Jones to his wife.

"He said give him your underwear!!" said Mrs. Jones.

Marine suppliers (like Hamilton Marine in my area) carry them for use on the floor in the engine compartment. Can get the material in cut-your-own-length rolls too. As to disposal of saturated pads, some marinas and some gas stations will take them from customers, but not from the general public, for legal disposal under their own licenses.

-Marty-

The blue pads are about 1/4" thick and absorb both oils and water, there are 150 in a box. Kendall Durasorb, about 52.00 a box on-line
283269d1585527442t-help-finding-absorbent-pads-20200329_190457.jpg

Nice sneaks!

As said above Pig is the big player, McMaster has lots of options too.
If you soak up any oil and many machine coolants you can run into regulations as to how to dispose.
In a big plant these have to go into a very special and labeled dumpster on the floor. People audit compliance and the fines large.
I'm sure you would not want to violate any EPA or local rules. What to do with that used diaper?
Unless tested clean In most cases it is hazardous waste. Toss it in the trash and you could be killing your grandchildren.
Bob
(get the intent with a smile and a warning, what do you do)

This is different state to state (only two states remained directly under EPA last I looked, all others are authorized agents under RCRA); for instance, in WI as long as there is no free flowing oil and you've characterized your coolants as non hazardous (notwithstanding the Used Oil exemption) you can send these directly to landfill without issue. If you use them to absorb RCRA Part C Hazardous Waste, then they would be as well.

I ordered some pig mats. They are quite expensive. I might try the puppy pads and the Kendall Durasorb later. They are definitely cheaper.

The knee on my K&T 2K leaks all the time from several different locations and I will be using the mats for that machine as well as for any other machine with leaks.

The knee on my K&T 2K leaks all the time from several different locations and I will be using the mats for that machine as well as for any other machine with leaks.

Some machines like to drool.
Can you channel the flow to low profile plastic pans, say cut down food containers?
This can be done using beads of silicone to direct it.
Then when some gallons collected take it to a oil change place.
Less messy and no concerns of putting oil or coolants in the trash.
Oil-dry or kitty litter also works, sometimes better than a pad and low cost.
Tube socks will take on more than pads so often used to line the base of a machine.
Bob

Some machines like to drool.
Can you channel the flow to low profile plastic pans, say cut down food containers?
This can be done using beads of silicone to direct it.
Then when some gallons collected take it to a oil change place.
Less messy and no concerns of putting oil or coolants in the trash.
Oil-dry or kitty litter also works, sometimes better than a pad and low cost.
Tube socks will take on more than pads so often used to line the base of a machine.
Bob
Lift the machine and put a pan under it.

I get mine from a local auto parts store, O'Reillys or AutoZone, can't remember now but they both should have them.

Back