What's new
What's new

Help Finding Compressor Pump

T_Dubs

Plastic
Hello, I am tired of listening to my loud @$$ compressor kicking on all the time.

I was looking for new pumps a couple of months ago and found a recommendation on here and, for the life of me, I can't find it again. I have been searching all day, my history doesn't go back far enough and I'm starting to go insane trying to find it.

It wasn't any of the mainstream names like Qincy, Eaton, Polar, IR, etc. They were very reasonably priced. Seemed to be a smallish looking operation, simple looking website with a few offereings.

Anyone have any idea? or recommendations for a good fairly quiet pump?

Yea I've seen a lot of recommendations for those.

I guess I should have stated before, I need the pump for an 80 gallon tank and 5hp baldor motor.

My harbor freight two piston single stage has been running no problem for the last 5 years on a 60 gallon tank, 5hp GE motor. Enough for a blasting cabinet.

There are exceptions, but generally cheap oil free diaphragm pumps are much noisier. For conventional oil-lubed piston pumps the key to quiet is LOW RPM. The best performers are pretty big pumps turning slower than 800rpm, some much slower. I've never owned one, but I hear screw compressors can be pretty quiet.

Sick of hearing it? Put it outside!

That'll work if you have solid or doubled walls, but then there are neighbors who'll complain. Mine is in a separate equipment room, the shop wall is 8" solid masonry and I don't usually hear it. It is a bit louder but not bad from outside, mainly due to the ventilation requirements for the Eq. room.

IR T30, all you need to know, now go buy one...Phil

I have a T30 and it's pretty loud, probably noisier than the OP wants. My other compressor is a Devilbiss 80 gallon 3 hp 3 phase running at 573 rpm. I can carry on a normal conversation in person or talking on a phone standing right next to it when it's running. I believe it puts out 13.5 CFM at 175 psi. It's old but very good quality. Ron

I had a old Quincy that was fairly loud all I did was plumb the intake filter to another room it was probably 50 percent quieter. And easy to do
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's an incredible output for 3hp!

I agree, especially running at 573 rpm but when I looked at the tables it said 13.5 (I Think). Anyway this is the compressor.
lNRS0eU.jpg

I agree, especially running at 573 rpm but when I looked at the tables it said 13.5 (I Think). Anyway this is the compressor.

13.5 CFM from 3 HP might make sense at 90 psi. Its the 175 psi that got my attention. There are often multiple CFM stats for a pump depending on pressure. That your pump can do 175 doesn't necessarily mean that all the volume specs provided relate to max pressure. But heck, if that's what you get, its a good deal.

As others said you need a huge pump that turns nice and slow. Hard to find these days. Need to spend a fair bit to get quality pump on a new compressor, or you can look for something old thats in good shape. A friend just bought one of these used and its nice and quiet. 10hp pump used with 5hp motor. Awesome. RK COMPRESSOR 5HP 80 GALLON VERTICAL 230 VOLT 1 PHASE | ESF Equipments

Im running a 1946 Brunner compresser in my shop. Love that that, wouldnt trade it for any new compressor.

Needs

What are your requirements i.e. CFM, PSI HP & tank size?
There are a plethora of different types, screw, disc, and conventional.
With this info in hand , make the sales reps work for you.

Back