What's new
What's new

Help finding key for Cushman chuck

Pivot

Plastic
Hi,
I have an older Clausing drill press with a Cushman chuck. The chuck is stamped with C19 Japan 3JT
When I go to the Cushman website their table says the correct key is a K4. I ordered one from MSC but it doesn't fit. So I called Cushman. They said they have since gone to a supplier from Spain and don't have any records for the Japan chucks and can't help me. I said seriously? I have to buy a new chuck because I lost the key? And the guy said ,yeah sorry I can't help you. So I said, "I guess I won't be replacing it with a Cushman chuck, thank you very much"

Can anyone point me in the direction of a source or a way to match up a chuck key by measuring the chuck etc? Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, just don't know where to look.

Thanks in advance.

I had a C19 chuck I bought new way back in 1978. Yeah, it used an odd ball chuck key. The K3 and K4 keys would not work. I have a newer, almost 20 year old, Cushman C16 chuck, it uses a CK3 key. And a K3 key fits it perfectly. I no longer have the C19 drill chuck. I know, I'm not of much help. Keep watching eBay, they show up every now and then. Ken

I just wanted to bump this thread once and see if anyone had any advice before I give up. There must be a way to measure the chuck and cross reference this to some chuck key specs? Are all chucks somewhat proprietary so there is only a special key that fits them? Or are there some standards and crossover?

Thanks

I just got one of these chucks out of the trash at my college, and am running into the same problem... I wonder if that's why they threw it out, I assumed the jaws would be worn out but it had only 4thou run out so I'm determined to find a key, anyone have and idea about measurements?

Around 40 years ago, I was using Makita electric and battery drills. I broke a key and soon found that Makita was the only source for a replacement because the key was totally different from any Jacobs or Supreme key in my drawer full of keys. So, I suggest you look at Makita keys for one to fit your Japanese chuck.

This thread never mentioned the chuck capacity, but the chuck owners obviously know. So look for a Makita key for a chuck of the same capacity.

Larry

Prolly not what you had in mind but you can find a drill that fits in the hole nicely, shank end obviously. Then use a flat blade screwdriver as a lever on the gear teeth. A bit hillbilly for sure but it works and it is easy to get the chuck even tighter than with the key.

Back