What's new
What's new

Help finding octagon socket

AvastMW

Aluminum
I am looking for a 1/2" x 1 1/8" deep socket (2") with a octagon/lock nut/ hub style pattern. This is for installing pipe couplings with octagon wrenching flats in a very tight access location. Anyone know where such a tool can be found?

In my limited experience square sockets are really octagons. But where to find square sockets these days? I think they are called eight point sockets.
Bill D.

Are you speaking of lying on your back in a vanity in a cramped powder room?

If so, you are not looking for an "octagon socket", you need a "basin wrench". It ratchets, in a way, just as a pipe wrench gets a new bite. If not, ignore this post.

Cheers,

George

Are you speaking of lying on your back in a vanity in a cramped powder room?

If so, you are not looking for an "octagon socket", you need a "basin wrench". It ratchets, in a way, just as a pipe wrench gets a new bite. If not, ignore this post.

Cheers,

George

It is for an assembly I build, I would like to avoid the "bite" since it will look sloppy. The coupling sits 2' down inside an acrylic chamber that is easily seen. I would also like to use a torque wrench to tighten, thus the socket form.

i needed a wrench for an 8 sided nut used on a hand well pump.
drew it out on a piece of plate,torched it out with the plasma and dressed it with the grinder and sander.
easy enough to make a crow or crabfoot wrench this way,if the square drive is too tricky then weld a socket in its place.torue wrench would need a little calculating,but it all depends how close the torque needs to be.

Create swaging tool, force into a properly sized tube/pipe (perhaps with use of heat).

Weld a socket onto the opposite end, for your 1/2 drive socket.

How much torque is expected?

I did this except I used square tube and notched it down the corners, pressed to right ID and then welded it up. Square wrench works dandy for a octagon. Thanks for the brainstorm everyone!

Back