What's new
What's new

Help With High Flow Air Fittings...

darita

Plastic
I just started using high flow couplers for my compressor and I do like the larger ID. Problem is, all of my hoses have barb fittings that have smaller IDs. Does anyone make high flow barb fittings, with 1/4 and 3/8 NPT threaded ends?

I just started using high flow couplers for my compressor and I do like the larger ID. Problem is, all of my hoses have barb fittings that have smaller IDs. Does anyone make high flow barb fittings, with 1/4 and 3/8 NPT threaded ends?

Use pre made hoses with crimped on ends to avoid barbed fittings. There isn't any way to avoid decreasing the I.D. using barbed fittings accept a larger hose and fittings. A larger I.D. barbed fitting wont go inside the hose. Use 1/2 plumbing all the way to your hyflow quick disconnect .Then use pre made hoses.
Hy flow always gets a restricted diameter at the air tool with a 1/4 inch female thread.

Might help to understand just exactly what brand/model of Hi-flow connection
system you have.

Have you looked at Snap-tite ?

Might help to understand just exactly what brand/model of Hi-flow connection
system you have.

Have you looked at Snap-tite ?

I just checked out the Snap Tite quick disconnect system. [Quality Hardware]. There are so many junk quick disconnects out there.

I have some different sizes of barb fittings, They are all in a plastic bag.

For high flow I use the two in the top row, far right and left. I would not use a coupler unless I could see straight through it.
Hose Fittings for Spray Guns and Air Tools

The two top row items use male/female 1/4 NPS and they can be connected/disconnected all day.
By the way, don't see a need for high flow fittings unless a hvlp paint gun is at the work end of the line.

My Iwata HVLP paint gun gets plenty of volume with 1/4" fittings. Most air tools have a 1/4"
female port. I quit concerning myself with high flow lines. My outlook is to keep hard plumbing at least 1/2 inch up to the quick disconnect. That helps overcome loss from long air line runs. One smaller fitting/port defeats the whole high flow system.
You can spend money for new disconnect fittings for no gain.
I am looking for better quality fittings so may try the Snap-tite brand Doug posted.

When I was young and dumber I had an air line blow out. I went looking for a quick fix. I grabbed a push rod from a 350 Chevy and used it to splice the hose. I was proud of my quick fix until I pulled the trigger on the impact . Blaaa!! Lesson learned.:rolleyes5:
No matter how large your air lines are your smallest fitting/port controls your volume. Most air tools restrict high flow air systems.
As rons said ,a HVLP Paint gun is about all that may need more volume of air. Large impacts with 3/8 inlets also.

I use Prevost hi flow couplers for everything. End of manifolds and any tool and hose has the hi flow. Great system they call safety couplers that won’t shoot a pressurized hose or tool when disconnecting from the QC coupler.

While hi-flow air systems are generally not worth the trouble, a few good uses besides HVLP guns are:

1) Filling up tires that need bead-seating help.
2) Most air tools (impact wrenches and die grinders for example) will work 'harder'
3) Sandblast cabinets work very nicely with a little lower air pressure and higher volume

While hi-flow air systems are generally not worth the trouble, a few good uses besides HVLP guns are:

1) Filling up tires that need bead-seating help.
2) Most air tools (impact wrenches and die grinders for example) will work 'harder'
3) Sandblast cabinets work very nicely with a little lower air pressure and higher volume

Yup, been there on all 3 accounts.

I use the larger quick disconnect for those, if you don't want the bulky
QC at the impact gun, use a 2' whip hose (avail with a ball swivel is even better)

PIA when storing the impact wrench, but makes it much more ergonomic.

As far as the sandlblasting cabinet, one of mine is plumbed in permanently, the other
using the large QC.
The big out door pots use Dixon QC. but you have to shut off the air upstream yourself.

Back