What's new
What's new

Help identify Asian 0-8mm drill chuck manufacturer? Maker's symbol in pic, ~8yrs ago

Milland

Diamond
Hi all,
Does anyone recognize the manufacturer of this chuck?
8mm Drill Chuck.jpg

I think I bought it (them, actually) about eight years ago, but can't remember where, and a search of my emails doesn't bring up a match. All I know is, until I introduced it (them) a little too intimately to some workpieces, that they were every bit the equal of Albrecht keyless chucks in holding power (better, actually) and accuracy, while (at the time) about 40% the price.

And like my comment in the thread here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-value-cat40-drill-chuck-353579/#post3220326 I think they're an excellent size for small drills, as I use ER collet chucks for larger tooling.

Given the age, it's certainly possible that the vendor or model is defunct, but if they are still around I want to buy a handful for the shop.

Thanks for any leads!

Hi all,
Does anyone recognize the manufacturer of this chuck?
View attachment 235507

I think I bought it (them, actually) about eight years ago, but can't remember where, and a search of my emails doesn't bring up a match. All I know is, until I introduced it (them) a little too intimately to some workpieces, that they were every bit the equal of Albrecht keyless chucks in holding power (better, actually) and accuracy, while (at the time) about 40% the price.

And like my comment in the thread here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-value-cat40-drill-chuck-353579/#post3220326 I think they're an excellent size for small drills, as I use ER collet chucks for larger tooling.

Given the age, it's certainly possible that the vendor or model is defunct, but if they are still around I want to buy a handful for the shop.

Thanks for any leads!

It may not be a LLambrich, (Spain, and serious-good stuff) but it surely looks to be a LLambrich knock-off with very, very similar grade finish, knurling, and plating if not.

I tried last year to cherry-pick the better Asian goods as fall-backs and odds when tooling-up the AB/5s. Nothing anywhere close out of China or Taiwan once I had it actually in-hand.

I'd be interested as well if there is a "surviving" maker out that way that is still attractively priced.

They aren't all as cheap anymore. Those as moved their quality up moved their prices up with that.

Hi Bill, thanks for the suggestion, but it's not Llambrich. They're an option if I can't find the actual brand shown in my post, still hope someone out there recognizes it.

Only thing wrong with a LLambrich is they are not free with purchase of a full tank of gas...

:)

FWIW-not-much-dept, if that odd looking first character is a LOGOTYPE or brand?

It "feels" stylized Japanese or Korean, modernized. Not Chinese.

Nagging feeling I've even seen it in the better Hong Kong shops, but then - they carry EVERYTHING, European included.

Apparent quality also fits Korea or Japan better than China of 8 to 12 years back.

3/4 CW

No idea if brand or logotype, but if I interpret it correctly as "LD", I may have found the Chinese company that made the chucks, although the style of LD is now different. I've emailed an inquiry to them with that picture attached, if I make any progress I'll update this thread.

In the meantime, still hoping others may have some suggestions.

G'Day from Oz,
About 10 years ago I purchased 3 x 12mm chucks with the same logo, they came in blue boxes marked "made in Italy"
paid AU $10 each for them at the time. I wish I had bought more as the quality has proven to be excellent.
Regards,
Martin

Hi Jancollc,
Yes, that's exactly who I was referring to in my comment #5, already have an inquiry out to them for 20pcs, and have also sent a request to a Taiwanese Co for the same size (but might be better) chuck.

I can't remember how long ago I ordered the two I have, could be longer than eight years, and in that time who knows what's gone on with the vendor. If Martin's chuck from Italy has that logo, it way have been handed off or copied, I couldn't find a Italian manufacturer in a brief Google search.

chucks

G'D ay All,
Must have been suffering a little brain flatulence when I posted that the Italian chucks were 12 mm they are in fact 10 mm.
Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• chucks.jpg
    chucks.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 77
G'D ay All,
Must have been suffering a little brain flatulence when I posted that the Italian chucks were 12 mm they are in fact 10 mm.
Regards,
Martin

Meah.. only 2 mm worth of it..

Logo seems to hint at "badge engineering", yah?

Alibable hinted at minimum 100 units for an order. Reseller might easily move enough to cut a deal for Oxide or Nitride finish instead of bright plated, so..

"Alibable hinted at minimum 100 units for an order."

We must stop meeting like this,

Have you checked Aliexpress rather than Alibaba ? , Aliexpress is the small order division and usually sells single units of most items. Alibaba is only interested in wholesale quantities.
Cheers,
Martin

"Alibable hinted at minimum 100 units for an order."

We must stop meeting like this,

Have you checked Aliexpress rather than Alibaba ? , Aliexpress is the small order division and usually sells single units of most items. Alibaba is only interested in wholesale quantities.
Cheers,
Martin

LOL! Or I could just ask a relative in China to sort it for me...

But I don't "use up" enough of this hardware to worry about it for my own needs. I was just surprised that H&H or such didn't already carry it for those who might be.

Someone must do. Probably in Europe. "Walmart mentality" doesn't dominate as much over there.
If they are to buy Chinese, it is meant to be GOOD Chinese, worthy of its price.

I remember the first time I had a BigMac in a German outlet. Costly!

The regimented rules-driven bastards were requiring MickeyD to make the damned burgers with REAL BEEF!

Given the 10% that was not SALT as was going into "wurst"?

Somehow .. it did not compute.

Depending on price, I might be willing to get 100 units if I'm convinced the quality is as I remember. I have a initial quote back from OLIMA, I've responded with a request for more information.

As this would be a custom product from them (their standards jump from 6mm to 10mm), and I want to ensure TIR from taper to cylindrical test bar in jaws of no worse than 0.03mm, I may be in for a larger order than I planned. That would mean flogging the extras here or on Ebay, or having enough for several lifetimes...

Cheers,
Martin

As mentioned above, I don't mind getting a hundred (or two) of these, as I regard the 8mm size as really handy for VMC use. Better range than 6mm - 1/4", and I like to hold larger sizes in collets anyway.

The smaller body of an 8mm over a 10mm allows for easier "fitting" when considering walls and clamps, so if I try to sell them I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wind up playing checkers with the extras...

Back