What's new
What's new

Help identify compressor pump

thegarageguy01

Plastic
Hello everyone - I'm new here and not sure where to put this message, but I saw a few similar posts in this section. I picked up a heavy duty cast iron air compressor pump from a scrapper guy I met. I have no idea what make/model it is, but it looked like it might be something that I can work into a compressor upgrade project. Has anyone seen anything like this, or have any ideas of what manufacturer might have made it? It probably weighs close to 200 pounds and has a huge pulley and shaft. No motor or tank, but the guy said it came from an auto shop that went belly up.

It does. Turns freely and you can feel when it starts compression stroke. I'll post some better pictures tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is a strange looking drain opposite the pulley side. Try pulling a small non-critical bolt or nut and see if it is metric or english threads.
Bil lD

Looks a quality machine ...obviously two stage compression ,which is good .........forget about bits ,you wont need anything ......even a big 2 stage machine generally uses a low horsepower motor ..........there will be an intercooler between the stages ,and also it will likely have an unloader mechanism ,which will allow the machine to start up without pumping load......Surely ,you must know someone with compressor experience to explain it to you?

That is a strange looking drain opposite the pulley side. Try pulling a small non-critical bolt or nut and see if it is metric or english threads.
Bil lD
I have to get more pictures loaded up, but it's raining like crazy and this thing is still in the truck. Have to wait for the rain to stop to get the hoist out to unload it. What you can't see is that's not the drain - there is actually a sight glass on the end of that. There is another pipe nipple and capped drain further down and closer to centerline. It sort of looks like someone just added an extension to make oil changes easier.

Looks a quality machine ...obviously two stage compression ,which is good .........forget about bits ,you wont need anything ......even a big 2 stage machine generally uses a low horsepower motor ..........there will be an intercooler between the stages ,and also it will likely have an unloader mechanism ,which will allow the machine to start up without pumping load......Surely ,you must know someone with compressor experience to explain it to you?
I don't really need it explained to me as I understand how it works. I just don't know what exactly I have, and was hoping someone may know what make or model it is so I can pull a datasheet to see some numbers.

These are the last 2 pictures from the posting. Not there best, but maybe helpful. Couldn't get and useful Google results from the casting number on the head.
aff7e75e0e733ac96a958fe5ceb608bf.jpg
f750c0298cc758871598fb9e72ac41ea.jpg

Nm, pics were posted as I was typing.

Are there any other markings anywhere else?

Best thing for an people to help would be to get picks of any casting numbers or any type of identification markings. Can't tell you much without them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The only number visible is the 42-56 in the picture. Turned it every which way looking for other identifiers and didn't see anything.

The champion pump is similar, but doesn't look the same in a lot of aspects. I wouldn't be surprised if the one I have is quite old and I'm just not finding pictures of old stuff.

I think this is the same one.
Industrial Compressor Pumps - North Central Air Compressors
My friends work place had one and it run out of oil and threw a rod. He orderd a new pump he said they were nice folks. Bought a compressor from them 25 years ago.
I have the old pump if any one needs parts.
This sure looks like it! Thank you. Let me confirm this is the same and I would be interested in the old one to have parts on hand.

It's a RDX brand. looks like a 5 H.P. series ZL 1105T. it's an import, slightly copied after the Kellogg American in some ways although not anywhere near the quality of the pre China K/A
These guys sell them 1-800-521-3420

It's a RDX brand. looks like a 5 H.P. series ZL 1105T. it's an import, slightly copied after the Kellogg American in some ways although not anywhere near the quality of the pre China K/A
These guys sell them 1-800-521-3420
I'm not finding any info on it - did you have a website link?

Back