What's new
What's new

Help Identify Steel: 7.75%Cr 18.32Fe .04%V .91%Ni

TeachMePlease

Diamond
As the title says...

My metallurgy is not that awesome, I generally read up on things when I need to know them, or ask here. I was just handed a printout from an XRF gun and asked to identify the alloy.

Again, the numbers are:

7.75% Cr +/- .07%
18.32% Fe +/- .15%
.04% V +/- .01%
.91% Ni +/- .01%

Apologies if it's a dumb question. I'm still looking at various steel grade charts, but not finding what I'm looking for, I figured someone here might be able to say "Hey dummy, it's XXXX!"

XRF often doesn’t work. Notice that your numbers add up to about 28%. So your material is 72% unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XRF often doesn’t work. Notice that your numbers add up to about 28%. So your material is 72% unknown.

For whatever reason, those are what the gun is preprogrammed for. Presumably because with those numbers we can tell 303 from 304 from 316 from 17-4 from 17-7 etc.

Presumably. I know even less about our receiving inspection methods than I do metallurgy.

Either you have typo in your numbers, XRF gun has gone nuts on this sample or its some weird alloy.

I'm not sure if aluminium shows up on all XRF guns at all, but for aluminium base metal the alloying would be really weird.
For example this would sound lot more plausible:
8 Cr
18 Ni
0.9 Mn
but its all guesswork until you check your print

I was just handed these numbers and told to figure it out.

I'll send another sample to the XRF and see what I get back. I know nothing else about this. I don't even know WHY they want to know... I just do what I'm told :D

Offhand I can’t think of any alloy that’s 18% iron, something is hosed up. You should be able to tell if it’s aluminum, steel, stainless, ceramic, wood, masonry, etc. Start there and reset the xrf gun accordingly.

Well, in today's "I'm gonna smack my coworker" moment...

I went to get a sample of WHATEVER this is, so I could have it XRF'd again...

It's a freaking bit driver he ordered from McMaster.

I found the McMaster part number and have contacted their customer service to get an answer.

I'll update y'all when I find out what it is.

Thanks for the input, sorry for wasting your time.

I wish my business was so fat I could afford to have guys running around xrfing driver bits.

Or, to put it another way, if the iron content is 18.32%, then it is not steel. Sounds like a waste of time all around.

Larry

Well, I talked with him after this post, turns out, he hadn't sent me on a total wild goose chase. There was a sample part in the same box as the drivers, but he had it with him, so when I looked in the box, all I saw was the drivers (McMaster got right back to me though, and let me know the drivers are made of 8740!)...

Turns out the sample is a fairly complex, small diameter part, with an irregular surface, and he said the guy with the XRF gun had problems getting a good reading, and took multiple shots before they even got the reading I was given. So I explained that with the numbers he had given me, there was no way to make an identification, since the less than 16%Cr immediately told me it wasn't stainless.

He accepted that it's unobtainium and we've moved on. :D

Sounds like a great place to work.
Joe: "The results totally screwed"
Bob: "Oh well, want to get some lunch?"

This is why we :drink: :D

It's not vital to our work... Just something that would have helped to know.

The day goes on.

We get hot dogs for lunch today, so there's that.

So I explained that with the numbers he had given me, there was no way to make an identification, since the less than 16%Cr immediately told me it wasn't stainless.

He accepted that it's unobtainium and we've moved on. :D

Is the part magnetic or not? I don't have access to an XRF gun but a simple magnet sometimes speaks wonders about mystery metal.

Back