What's new
What's new

Help Identifying an Indexer, Seeking Manual, Marwin Anstey

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I purchased a machine tool lot at an auction recently and among the pieces was what is surely an indexing head (it was with a tool and cutter grinder). I have attached some photos of it sitting on the table of my K&T.

Marwin_indexer-1.jpg Marwin_indexer-4.jpg
Marwin_indexer-2.jpg Marwin_indexer-3.jpg

The spindle accepts an NMTB-40 taper nicely but I do need to make a drawbar for it.

Has anyone seen an indexer like this? Further, does anyone know of a manual for it?

I have seen a few like that on ebay for sale. Having a 40 taper on it makes me think its more of a grinding attachment to sharpen stuff rather than milling. Can you get nmtb 40 collets? Could get a facemill holder and mount a chuck or faceplate.

The " Marwin " company that made that device also made fairly big machine tools. They were one of the first companies over here to get into NC control. They had a reputation for innovative designs. I remember installing a pre-owned " Marwin " Modula horizontal machining centre years ago. Same sort of style of machine shape wise as a " DeVlieg " Jig-Mill. It was totally hydraulically powered and all three axis plus the milling spindle had hydraulic drives. It was a pretty good machine, very powerful, but it leaked hydraulic oil from the spindle frame like a sieve unfortunately.

Later on they combined with the British part of " Kearney & Trecker " to form " Kearney-Trecker-Marwin ", that went through a few sets of hands, incorporating what was left of " Kearns-Richards " and " Noble & Lund " on the way before going bang in the 1990's if I recall correctly.

As far I know they also made grinding machines for sharpening tools but I've never seen a tool and cutter grinder made by them. " Jones & Shipman " who were also based in Leicester did make tool and cutter grinding machines so maybe there was a tie up there.

Regards Tyrone

Back