What's new
What's new

Help identifying lathe please

My guess is it is one of the many variously labeled or unlabeled Asian home shop grade lathes that aren't supposed to be discussed here.

From the sticky, Machinery Discussion Guidelines.
"And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools."

That said, if they didn't even put a name on it, why does it matter if you have a manual?
Just run it, it is a simple lathe with no complexity in operation and you will have to repair, make or modify any required parts for it because none are available for it, from a long gone mystery marketer.

Thanks Doug and noted on the guidelines. Guess one of the admins can delete the post then.

Guessing here, but I don't think a home shop grade lathe that size is going to have a coolant pump? And the handles kinda say to me that might be Eastern European, or Brazilian? Might be a decent small lathe. I wouldn't immediately conclude its a chinese POS w/o more info.

Post more photos, including motor, electrics, etc, to give more clues.

Thanks, I think the coolant pump was retro fitted. It has a plaque with the following on it and from what I understand WD Hearn is South African name for it haha.

unnamed (2).jpg

Guessing here, but I don't think a home shop grade lathe that size is going to have a coolant pump? And the handles kinda say to me that might be Eastern European, or Brazilian?

from the 1st post.....
"All I know it was built in 1992 in Taiwan."

So unless they moved Taiwan, to Europe or South America,,, I would say it is Asian. ;)

Try this site
Taiwanese Lathes by Brazier's Lantaine, Enco, Wey II Corp, Warco, Peerless, Kin Shin, carolina with Models: 1122, 1124, 1224, 1236, 1340 & 1327 Lathes

I've had some experience with that style lathe and they are not bad. That one has a cam lock spindle which is a big plus and gear head with quick change ,all nice to have. The ones I've been around were pretty heavy for their size. If the size and price meets your needs it would be a good first/starter lathe.If cutting metric threads will be needed look for 3 to 5 loose gears.

It looks like it has a threading dial. If it has a metric leadscrew check to see if there is a stack of gears on the bottom of the threading dial. You have to move them around so the correct gear engages the leadscrw for the thread spacing you desire.
Bil lD

Thanks for the input guys. Looking forward to learning with this machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back