What's new
What's new

help identifying NSK linear guide

jz79

Stainless
As the title says, the guide is for a Chiron FZ 12 W, made in 1996, it's a traveling column machine, and there is some corrosion damage on Y axis rails, top ball row only, at around last 100mm in Y- direction (towards operator)

tried googling for NSK ball linear guides, and the ones I could find didn't have this row configuration, so I was wondering if that could be some special order product made for Chiron, or just an obsolete design, it is difficult to see in the picture, but the screws are covered with a spring steel strip that is spot welded at the ends to the rail

2nd picture is of the truck, the only markings I've found so far on them are the ones in the picture - 55-059KL
20190926_192432 - Copy.jpg20190926_192313.jpg

and a pic of damage
20190926_192745.jpg

NSK makes all sorts of one off stuff for different mfgs.
the stuff on mazaks looks normal but is "special "
good luck
the are rebuilder/grinders out there

for what it's worth, after careful scraping/sanding the spot where the numbers are etched, from the 2 rails managed to piece together:
LY 45 1020 FL 2G 07 P6 Z4
below is the corresponding page from the catalog

the only thing that doesn't match yet (apart from the material/surface treatment spec) is the pitch of the mounting holes for the rail, on mine they are closer than the 105mm mentioned in the catalog
Capture.jpg

one of the rails had 55-059KL etched after the spec, and that matches the numbers on the trucks, the other rail doesn't have anything after the spec numbers and the numbers on the trucks are 55-060

Hello Jz,

It's quite late and you might have figured it out by now but I think these may be an older model of four row linear guides with two point contact and gothic profile.
The simple two row guides for transportation and such look very similar except they are two row and usually not used for fast and high load applications because of the two point contact and resulting "differential sliding" (don't find the right words but the THK manual explains it very nicely and is generally worth a look).
I think two point contact was the standard in the early days of linear rails, they could even have benefits in terms of stiffness (four contact points vs eight) but they disappeared in most applications for a reason I guess.

Have you considered shooting NSK or Chiron an Email?
I don't know about NSK but Chiron is a German company and there'll be no problems communicating in English at all. And they are selling high volume production machines, those companies usually have really good service and aftercare in my experience.

I've seen those rails on older and not so old Chiron machines and always wondered if they are just inferior old or superior special types.
It's just curiosity but I'd be glad if you let me know if you find out.

Gruß,
Hüppenbecker

Back