What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Odd Wood Cutting Production Lathe

alphonso

Titanium
Picked this up for one of my customers. After laying eyes on it, he's not sure what it is.

DSCF0917.jpg DSCF0919.jpg

Fairly obvious that it is for cutting wood. Less than half the cutters shown. Many different profiles, some cutters are 12 inches in diameter.

Those are tobacco pipe frazing machines, watch this video
YouTube

I was told Chacom had an auction shortly after that video was shot, and whats seen in the video may be those same machines. They were most likely made in France?/Italy? in the early 1900's.

Is this Tom?

And that's what you told me when I first looked at them. I had been Googling frazing lathes but came up empty handed. Thanks for the link, that clears it up.

I never would have guessed that in a million years....:eek: Kinda cool!

I wonder how many smoke breaks they get?:dunce: Or maybe it's like working in a winery. At least for my dad, who said one summer working around all the raw fermentation as a youngster was enough to make him hate wine from then on.

I never would have guessed that in a million years....:eek: Kinda cool!

I wonder how many smoke breaks they get?:dunce: Or maybe it's like working in a winery. At least for my dad, who said one summer working around all the raw fermentation as a youngster was enough to make him hate wine from then on.

It's the same in chocolate factories.

Fraze is apparently English for French fraise. You know those metal collars on wooden file handles? It seems that fraze is the process that cuts down the end for the collar. The word comes from the French name of a ruff, a collar worn around 1600 by wealthy people. A ruff looks a bit like those fraze cutters in post no. 1.

Fraze | Definition of Fraze by Merriam-Webster Ruff | Definition of Ruff by Merriam-Webster

Chacom moved their French factory into a modern building in 2016, perhaps with modern machinery.

Chacom fine pipes - Since 1825, creator and distributor of fine pipes - SaintClaude, France

Erica arborea - Wikipedia This is the tree that provides the fancy grained wood for pipes.

Larry

Back