What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Old 3 Way Milling Vise Angle and Swivel

Wiggin

Plastic
I bought a rolling Kennedy chest recently and this vise was in the bottom. It looks like it was repaired at some point and the name badge was sacrificed in the repair. I tried to match it with some google searches but couldn't find anything. The jaws are approximately 2 1/8" wide. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Josh

Attachments

• DSCF9107.jpg
    DSCF9107.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF9130.jpg
    DSCF9130.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCF9138.jpg
    DSCF9138.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF9143.jpg
    DSCF9143.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 262
Thank you for your reply. I had never seen a vise with the cylindrical design. I will keep searching.

Thanks for the comment Bill. I found two through searching google pics but the badges had either been removed or worn.

Thanks for the comment Bill. I found two through searching google pics but the badges had either been removed or worn.

Didn't find anything just now in a patent search- it seems to have been, but it might be under some other search terms.

Weird design, but "weird in a good way". So naturally I looked at Oliver of Adrian and Royal Oak!

:)

No Joy..

But it is probably NOT a Cincinnati or K.O.Lee.

Pratt & Whitney did some bizness in grinders. So did K&T. B&S, of course. Gallmeyer & Livingston didn't make "only" straight SG's..

In general, I'd look more to the larger and older and less-common ones than not.

I did say "older"? Not just because it has a lot of scars. It just has that sort of complexity to it later sweated out by "production engineering" for lower cost to manufacture.

Even if... it was made by a third-party.. it might show-up WITH one of the grinders.

Unfortunately we don't see much on those.

"Less common" is just that way..

:(

I appreciate your efforts and insight. It's less common that I find something I haven't seen before. This is one of those times. : )

Good Morning, The vise in question is a Victor Omni-Vise. I have one. It is very useful, occasionally, for light milling or grinding. Also useful for drilling an angled hole in a part, particularly if it is angular in more than one plane. I believe there were several sizes. Tom from Mass.Omni-Vise.jpg

That looks very much like an old grinder vise I have that is more lightly built and lacks the third axis of rotation. It has the swivel base and rotating cylindrical body but lacks the pivot function. Like yours, it also lacks a nameplate.

It is "intriguing". Much as a Quorn T&C grinder is.
Pretty sure I don't WANT either one.
But might take away a concept or three off the design philosophy.

Perhaps you have no use for such an item but especially for grinding small items like tool bits, etc. at precise angles they are extremely useful. I wouldn't give mine up easily.

Back