What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Rotary Apparatus

IHateMayonnaise

Aluminum
Hello everybody,

I need some help identifying a rotary fixture. The backstory here is that some guys father died and he's liquidating all of his machinery assets. Last time I was there I caught a glempse of the aforementioned rotary apparatus, and he said he would let it go for $200, even though he didn't really know what it was. I'm sure this is a great deal, but I lack much background on what specifically the device is. I severely regret not taking more/better pictures, even though I was running out the door. There didn't seem to be any discernable manufacturers mark on it either, but I didn't move anything around to get a better look.

My best guess is that it's some sort of rotary head or 4th axis. I believe I saw a tailstock in the box, and it has a power cord, so perhaps it's of the CNC variety? In the picture there appears to be a Variac of sorts that could be a speed controller perhaps.

It's in a crate measuring approximately 24" long, 18" deep, and 20" high.

No matter what it is, it is likely outside my machining capabilities for the immediate future, as at the moment I only have room for a small CNC mill. If I get this, it will likely be sold to finance some tooling that is more appropriate for my existing machinery portfolio. Essentially, I'm trying to see if this is going to be worth the effort, as it will have to be shipped via freight, and I'm concerned it may be obsolete technology with a limited market.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

20210910_193443.jpg

Hello everybody,

I need some help identifying a rotary fixture. The backstory here is that some guys father died and he's liquidating all of his machinery assets. Last time I was there I caught a glempse of the aforementioned rotary apparatus, and he said he would let it go for $200, even though he didn't really know what it was. I'm sure this is a great deal, but I lack much background on what specifically the device is. I severely regret not taking more/better pictures, even though I was running out the door. There didn't seem to be any discernable manufacturers mark on it either, but I didn't move anything around to get a better look.

My best guess is that it's some sort of rotary head or 4th axis. I believe I saw a tailstock in the box, and it has a power cord, so perhaps it's of the CNC variety? In the picture there appears to be a Variac of sorts that could be a speed controller perhaps.

It's in a crate measuring approximately 24" long, 18" deep, and 20" high.

No matter what it is, it is likely outside my machining capabilities for the immediate future, as at the moment I only have room for a small CNC mill. If I get this, it will likely be sold to finance some tooling that is more appropriate for my existing machinery portfolio. Essentially, I'm trying to see if this is going to be worth the effort, as it will have to be shipped via freight, and I'm concerned it may be obsolete technology with a limited market.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

View attachment 329380

looks like a dividing head with tailstock.
Appears the trunnion's for the head are MIA

I was going with spin drive off a surface grinder but it does look like a baby OMT optical dividing head
Mark

Not sure I would call it a "dividing head", as there doesn't appear to be any capacity to repeat uniform rotational arcs.

It does look like it has a "glass circle" (aka "optical circle") measuring system -- glass circles are usually more precise than metal circles), and a worm-segment tilting mechanism.

It also appears that the spindle is designed to take collects

So lemme see if I have this correct:

1. You might want to buy this even though you can't use it yourself ($200.)
2. You want some idea of what it is and how much it is worth (how much you can get for it.)
3. 2. - 1. = profit

Whatever it is it looks like some sort of precision inspection and/or positioning gear that is jumbled up in a box. If someone actually recognizes it (from intimate familiarity) it is near impossible to figure out it is in good enough shape and complete enough to be worth $200 + shipping + profit.

-DU-

2. You want some idea of what it is and how much it is worth (how much you can get for it.)
3. 2. - 1. = profit

Whatever it is it looks like some sort of precision inspection and/or positioning gear that is jumbled up in a box. If someone actually recognizes it (from intimate familiarity) it is near impossible to figure out it is in good enough shape and complete enough to be worth $200 + shipping + profit.

-DU-

Yikes........

3. 2. - 1. = profit

-DU-

This is one of those deals where you have to know a bit about what you're looking at or jump in with both feet and take a chance. Worst case you get an education on optical indexers. Best case you make a couple thousand bucks.

Back