What's new
What's new

Help with K.R. Wilson, Model 37F 75 ton H-FRAME Hydraulic Press

twabscs

Aluminum
Hey All,

I ended up buying a nice old press at a local auction. However, their rigging requirements are difficult as/is access to facility. Any thoughts on how hard it might be to disassemble this press instead of trying to get a rigging crew. I planned on buying other items, but these online auctions are difficult at times, so ended up with just this one item that I cannot carry out.

Thanks!

Picture soon, uploads having issues.

14f8ccc2-32cb-439d-978b-ac6901433b9b.jpg

Carefully tip it back enough to slide a 6' long 4x4 under the front (going from Left to right).
Cordless drill to screw in thru those angle iron feet (you can see the holes already in there for mounting it to the floor).
Then go around back and doo the same.

Now, secured up on some 6' long 4x4 skids, roll a standard pallet jack under it, pump it up and roll it out.

Its seven feet tall as it stands. I moved mine by laying it on its back and pulling it onto a trailer with 4x4's under it as rails. It would come apart if you take your time.

Carefully tip it back enough to slide a 6' long 4x4 under the front (going from Left to right).
Cordless drill to screw in thru those angle iron feet (you can see the holes already in there for mounting it to the floor).
Then go around back and doo the same.

Now, secured up on some 6' long 4x4 skids, roll a standard pallet jack under it, pump it up and roll it out.

That would be my choice. I moved mine like this and moved it again this fall when it went to the new shop. I used two 2x6s or 2x4s and two 4x4s. You just need a small tilt trailer. That said I'd ask the on site rigger. I've had stuff like this loaded for $30 at times and was in and out in 15 minutes. Works well when you have two $20 bills in your hand.

Thanks guys, yeah, I'm not even sure they will let me take a pallet jack in with me, but I'll see. It does sound like I have some options with some 4x4s and a jack.

Thanks guys, yeah, I'm not even sure they will let me take a pallet jack in with me, but I'll see. It does sound like I have some options.

So take some 4' long pieces of 2" dia pipe (at least 3)
pinch bar it up on pipes, and push.

Thanks guys, yeah, I'm not even sure they will let me take a pallet jack in with me, but I'll see. It does sound like I have some options with some 4x4s and a jack.

Everything about this thing is heavy. I've had the pump off mine and its a boat anchor. I'd avoid breaking it down on site. In fact they may give you grief for that too. That ram assembly is heavy and of course full of oil. I really like it when auctions have fixed rigging prices. You can't pick who does the work but at least you know exactly what it cost to get it on your trailer.

Nice press! First I would ask if there is someone on site with a forklift I can hire. If not, anything with decent strength to lift from above? I would not even consider laying that press down by hand, it probably weighs north of 1k lbs.

I've got a 50 ton and a 60 version of the press. The crown, with the cylinder, weighs in around 900 pounds....table is about 300 pounds. I took mine apart to move with an engine hoist and a couple of straps. The press is very top heavy, so be aware. Should you choose to disassemble it, lower the table to the bottom before taking the crown apart. Once the bolts are out of the crown, there is nothing up high holding the verticals and they will lean.

The 75 and 100 ton press weight a bit more than the 50 and 60, but I don't know by how much. The 60 ton squatted my pickup pretty far when we moved it to the house.

I have what looks like the exact same press. As to weight, I move mine every so often by sliding the forks of my 2.000 pound NAMCO forklift under the top crosspieces. If there is a rigger with a forklift that will go high enough to put it on a trailer, there you are. Make sure you have ratchet straps from the top to all four directions good and tight because it really is top heavy.

You can easily remove the movable table by holding one up with a strap and lowering the other side with another one (after pulling the pin, of course).

I put an air pressure booster on the line to the hand pump and just have to hold an air valve to press.

Bill

I have the same press. Bottom angles are 4x4x1/4x 36". I welded two 4" casters to the underside of two 4x4x48" angles (leg up). Crib up each side at a time and slide an angle under and secure it with a C-clamp at each end. Stable for moving into spots a forklift won't fit or isn't available.

Your press looks to be in great shape.

Just wow on all the comments. Especially that last one about this being a great press, and I have to agree. It is home and in one piece. I did get the rigger that has done all my machine moving to be on site today and they loaded the press and a some heavy shop carts directly on my trailer without issue. I chained the press down (still upright), but with the table dropped as low as it would go and chains attached there.

So cool having a solid 75-ton press from 1958 in the shop. Was worth all the effort for sure.

Thanks again, everyone!

Back