What's new
What's new

Mobile Arbor Press Stand

J-Head

Hot Rolled
I finally got around to cleaning up my Dumont arbor press made by Greenard in Nashua NH.

Here is the before photo:
image.jpg

Here is the after photo with new mobile base:
image.jpg

I have never seen an arbor press on a mobile base, but I wanted one so I could stuff it in the corner when not in use. I spent some time thinking about the caster arrangement and outriggers. As it turns out it is pretty stable without the outriggers, but they are there if I really need to yank on the handle.

That looks like a really nice job. I just finished cleaning up my arbor press (smaller than yours). It had dirt and rust from storage. I have it on a 2x10 base and I repainted that, but not the press where the original paint is OK.

If you really pull down on that lever, you will tend to raise the rear end and it will try to roll on the front wheels. That could drop the press on your legs or feet. The outriggers to each side will NOT prevent this. You need outriggers that extend out the front and that go about as far as the lever will go at it's farthest extension, which looks like a pretty far distance. It won't hurt to extend them to the sides a bit, but out front is what is needed for safety. You might think about shortening that lever arm.

Mine is designed for bench top mounting and the 2x10 base extends out the back for about 10 inches so a loose fitting clamp can hold it down while it can be stored completely on the bench or moved a bit over the edge for use. The bench will be fastened to the wall so no danger of tipping over. I haven't got it mounted there yet as I am building the bench it will sit on now. I will try to remember to post a photo when it is done.

I will have move a bunch of stuff out of the storage unit to snag a picture of mine. One of my first welding projects about 20 years ago. It's got a loooong extension in the front so I can hang off the lever with no danger of tipping the stand. Cheap non-ratcheting 2-ton press, so I ground the bottom two or three teeth off the ram to be able to adjust the lever rotation.

The stationary factory base does not extend out any further than the front wheels on my base. The real reason for the out riggers is to keep the wheels from rolling, but so far I have not even needed them.

The stationary factory base does not extend out any further than the front wheels on my base. The real reason for the out riggers is to keep the wheels from rolling, but so far I have not even needed them.
Yes, that is correct but they give instructions to be anchored to the floor! It is a nice job on the stand BTW but I'd be careful when using it, might want to tie it to a solid bench before working it too hard.
Dan

That looks like a really nice job. I just finished cleaning up my arbor press (smaller than yours). It had dirt and rust from storage. I have it on a 2x10 base and I repainted that, but not the press where the original paint is OK.

If you really pull down on that lever, you will tend to raise the rear end and it will try to roll on the front wheels. That could drop the press on your legs or feet. The outriggers to each side will NOT prevent this. You need outriggers that extend out the front and that go about as far as the lever will go at it's farthest extension, which looks like a pretty far distance. It won't hurt to extend them to the sides a bit, but out front is what is needed for safety. You might think about shortening that lever arm.

Mine is designed for bench top mounting and the 2x10 base extends out the back for about 10 inches so a loose fitting clamp can hold it down while it can be stored completely on the bench or moved a bit over the edge for use. The bench will be fastened to the wall so no danger of tipping over. I haven't got it mounted there yet as I am building the bench it will sit on now. I will try to remember to post a photo when it is done.

You're so polite.

The configuration your picture shows is an accident waiting to happen. Shame to mess up that nice paint work, not to mention what/who it lands on.

Yes, that is correct but they give instructions to be anchored to the floor! It is a nice job on the stand BTW but I'd be careful when using it, might want to tie it to a solid bench before working it too hard.
Dan

The reason I posted this was to show that a mobile base can be designed and built and work.

Every shop I have worked in has had arbor presses of comparable size and none of them were bolted to the floor. This is not a small press, it is equal to a Greenard 3-3/4 and it weighs 516 lbs. I can see if it were a smaller one you would probably need to bolt it down, but this one is surprisingly stable.

You will note that the stand shown in the first photo has no provisions for mounting and it has been in use for about 60 years. When the screws are cranked down to the floor, the footprint of the new base is larger than the crappy old base that had been in use all these years.

I should also mention that this photo was taken several years ago, so it has been used several times for broaching and pressing bearings. Even with most of my weight hanging on the lever, there is no sign of the back end lifting.

Looking at how much weight on the end of that fairly long lever would upset the press I understand some of the cautions that have been offered and I share those concerns.

I would guess the base is about 24" long and the lever is twice that or maybe more. The center of gravity of the whole 600# machine and base is about midway back from the front wheels or riggers. Hang 200 pounds of pull on the lever and you will be tipping the machine forward. Once it starts to tip, just stand way back.

A very simple modification to the riggers would solve the problem. Weld an additional piece of square tubing at a right angle onto the existing rigger so that the new outrigger pads are 1 foot in front of the wheels and laterally located to the degree they are presently. Since they are infrequently needed, store them in the open area of the base. Once you put them in place, the tipping resistance is increased to twice its current value. Much safer.

Denis

Back