What's new
What's new

Help for making beep hole wider.

Sunbeam

Plastic
Help for making deep hole wider.

Hi,

I have a 1/2" hole 12" deep in steel, I don't know what the steel its, but it is a magnetic ferrous steel.

I need to open the hole to 5/8". Does anybody know the best way to do this?

I do have a lathe and drill press, but the work piece the hole is in would be impossible to hold in the tools I have and keep running true. I can make some guides and things to help hold the work piece relatively straight while drilling, but from an engineering stand point, not accurate.

So I'm looking for a drill or reamer type tool that will follow the original hole without wandering at all. The guides I will make will help, but the tool would need to do most of the guiding.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

P.S,
Could I ream with 14mm then ream to 5/8" ?

You could use a pilot on the end of a drill bit if you dont trust the drill to follow the existing hole. Dont drill it 5/8 if that is your final size, leave a little to ream.

I'd like a more complete explanation of why the drill press can't work, and at least a picture of the part and hole location.

Knowing the purpose of the hole and why it can't wander when going to 5/8" would be helpful too, as reality says that some movement is inevitable.

Do you have a high-quality hand drill with a 1/2"-13mm chuck? Does it have a side thread for an accessory handle? You might be able to kluge-up a guide that mounts to this threaded hole and aligns to some rods you clamp to the workpiece, but you'll still have to hold the drill very stably to ensure it doesn't start tipping. A pilot on the tip of the drill bit might help too, as mentioned.

Edit: And yes, I wanted to make a joke like "Beep hole? Is that where you mount the horn?", but decided it wouldn't be sporting...

You could use a pilot on the end of a drill bit if you dont trust the drill to follow the existing hole. Dont drill it 5/8 if that is your final size, leave a little to ream.

YUP, we have ground pilots on the ends of drills before( Think counter sink)For an existing .500 hole we would probably grind a pilot to a few thousands undersize and only about .375 long as it will bottom before the final drill size. if this needs to be a precision hole then then drill undersize and finish ream.

I'd like a more complete explanation of why the drill press can't work, and at least a picture of the part and hole location.

Knowing the purpose of the hole and why it can't wander when going to 5/8" would be helpful too, as reality says that some movement is inevitable.

Do you have a high-quality hand drill with a 1/2"-13mm chuck? Does it have a side thread for an accessory handle? You might be able to kluge-up a guide that mounts to this threaded hole and aligns to some rods you clamp to the workpiece, but you'll still have to hold the drill very stably to ensure it doesn't start tipping. A pilot on the tip of the drill bit might help too, as mentioned.

Edit: And yes, I wanted to make a joke like "Beep hole? Is that where you mount the horn?", but decided it wouldn't be sporting...
Or a sort of piloted drill and hardened drill guide bushing on the entry side?
Drills are reasonably good in following the existing hole and guide bushing would prevent bell-mouthing on entry side.. drill close to size and ream the rest of it.

OP’s ”Not accurate” and ”no wandering at all” are also invalid values for tolerance...

Would a piloted countersink follow a straight hole accurately or would it wander off? I am thinking the kind with a replaceable pilot. If this is a through hole a piloted reamer makes sense.
Bill D

Back