What's new
What's new

Help me find a self-closing air-valve

swatti

Plastic
I never thought finding something like this can be so hard...

10 - 100 PSI range, most likely around 40PSI or less.

Push-button valve. When pressed, releases a set amount of air, then closes. Closes, REGARDLESS of button being pressed, important.

AKA: click it, releases some air, closes. Click it again, releases same amount of air and closes. Regardless of how long the click was.

Please link me something like that OR help me find a place to ask for something like that.

I have asked in atleast dozen different forums, emailed atleast a dozen different retailers. No luck on any forums and NONE of the retailers have answered.

EDIT: Needs to be mechanical, electrics are a bit no-no.

Last edited:
You can't find it because nobody makes on exactly like you want.

No you can assemble several pieces of parts to do what you want. You can do this electrically or pneumatically. Electrically would be the easiest and most repeatable. All you would need is an electrical timer relay that turns on for a set time interval and then turns off.Timer cannot be restarted until interval is done. Timer is programmable from ms to hrs. Just set the switches.

Pneumatically is not as consistent time wise since a change in air pressure would change the circuit characteristics. They do make relay valves but these are very specific in design for pressure, flow, and time interval.

Visit:
Solenoid Valves and Manifolds - Compact Size, high speed & flow
also fill in their contact form so a application engineer can assist you. They may direct you to your local distributor.

What you describe is a bleed operation. Usually done by twisting a little knob.
You could do your task with a 24 volt solenoid valve with a RC time constant circuit.
You could use a potentiometer adjustment to control how long the valve stays open.
If you have ever seen a bronze sintered type screw in fitting which is called a muffler, that is
what your exhaust air will exit through. It screws onto the valve port.

It all depends on how small/large a valve you can accept. I see this stuff in the surplus stores
all the time.

Forgot to mention. Needs to be "mechanical"

Electrics will most likely not work very long, or need to be insulated bit better then i can manage in this case.

Delayed/timed system needing multiple components is not really needed and would ramp up the price and aviability. A single valve alone will suffice.

Ive seen several of such valves over the years, sadly the ones ive held in my hand didnt have any markings to ID them and the ones used in aplications i might have access to are within a device and are quite hard to reach and not mine, so i cant pull em apart.
Theres even a valve directly used where i would use it and even being sold, sadly the maker doesnt answer any questions and when i tried ordering one i was refunded with no explanation why.

What i need is not very complicated or expensive, but sadly that little bit too complex for me to make with tools what i have.
Its basicly a spring-loaded valve where the spring closes the valve. The button is more of an addon component that resets itself once lifted.

SMC most likely has what i need, there are few valves that look like they could work but picking the right one...
They have sites in many different countries and i have tried to contact them several times over the past week. No answer as of yet.

At work, lots of smaller air cylinders are used to automate machinery. They do not give you a set amount of motion per air amount; they are not that reliable. Fiber optics are used to let the computer know if the cylinder is in the in or out position.

There is a way to this with off the shelf mechanical parts as long as the pulse time is short. Use a quick exhaust valve to charge an air reciever (piece of pipe) turning off the air supply dumps the reciever to the exhaust. Turn the air back on to charge for next pulse. If air pressure to charge is well regulated the pulse will be very uniform.

There is a way to this with off the shelf mechanical parts as long as the pulse time is short. Use a quick exhaust valve to charge an air reciever (piece of pipe) turning off the air supply dumps the reciever to the exhaust. Turn the air back on to charge for next pulse. If air pressure to charge is well regulated the pulse will be very uniform.

That is the problem with this approach. You need very good air regulation and an orifice sized to give you the time interval you need. A slight change in air pressure will yield significant changes in timing interval. I took that the original OP was wanting a timed interval that was easily adjustable. You can do this but it will take more than just a single valve.

JBC had the answer. Most reliable way would be a pushbutton valve to a one shot or pulse valve, then the pulse valve operates a larger pilot operated valve to give you the flow required.

I've done exactly what you are asking with CLippard valves. Clippard Pulse Valves

The pulse valve duration is adjustable by adding a small reservoir, and if you don't need a lot of volume a push button valve and pulse valve is all you need.

You should have a good Festo supplier in your part of the world. The VLK valve JBC linked to will do what you want.

Chris

Back