What's new
What's new

Help with milling fixture ideas

bastarddsm

Aluminum
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to design and add a new part to my catalog, and I'm sort of stuck on how to make it. I'm fairly green in this area, as most parts I've made have been pretty obvious on how to hold them.
The part is a shift fork for a fwd transverse engine transmission.(factory is cast, breaks easy, and is getting discontinued) It will be 6061, I've added a picture of it. It will fit within a block 4" x 3" x 1". I expect I will make 3-5 at a time.
DSM 1-2 Shift Fork.jpg
I figure it'll be pretty basic clamp a block in the vice and profile it, drill some holes, ect. Where I'm stuck is how to get the bottom side cut, and the roll pin. I'm thinking design a few sacrificial "islands" into the part what will allow it to be bolted down onto a subplate in positon, and then are cut off in a 3rd op.

Any idea's on how to measure the angular alignment of the roll pin to the gear shaft center?

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to design and add a new part to my catalog, and I'm sort of stuck on how to make it. I'm fairly green in this area, as most parts I've made have been pretty obvious on how to hold them.
The part is a shift fork for a fwd transverse engine transmission.(factory is cast, breaks easy, and is getting discontinued) It will be 6061, I've added a picture of it. It will fit within a block 4" x 3" x 1". I expect I will make 3-5 at a time.
View attachment 273747
I figure it'll be pretty basic clamp a block in the vice and profile it, drill some holes, ect. Where I'm stuck is how to get the bottom side cut, and the roll pin. I'm thinking design a few sacrificial "islands" into the part what will allow it to be bolted down onto a subplate in positon, and then are cut off in a 3rd op.

Any idea's on how to measure the angular alignment of the roll pin to the gear shaft center?

Thanks for any and all help!
Looks like a good candidate for picture frame milling and use some I'd expand clamps in the scrap material.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Like this.
4347b536cfee2dfeff7bffdcb63dd2be.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
878ac13a2e4f582bda7f26adeec245f3.jpg

Running a business on the taxpayers dime ?

Well that seems a bit presumptuous. But I guess if working full time while earning my PhD full time so that I can save up to glad hand a bunch guys and buy a used up vmc out of their shop is on the tax payers dime, well then. I mean I guess I did "work" for the school, grading papers, teaching, ect. while collecting less than minimum wage for my efforts.

Don't mind dougy, he's just the self appointed forum guard dog. As to your question I would probably go with soft jaws to hold the part for ops 2 and 3, op 3 would be for the roll pin hole. Locate off of the soft jaws, say the back left corner.

Back