What's new
What's new

help with Nardini 1440

fbjacobo

Plastic
I work in a shop that has a Nardini 1440 (green color). The lathe is new to us and we are having trouble figuring out the controls. The manual is, of course, useless. Of greatest concern is that we can't get the carriage or the cross slide to travel automatically in both directions. They only go in one. The lever governing this doesn't seem to be working. Could the problem be low oil? It is very low on oil (we have some on order). If not, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It also has a lot of backlash. Is there a video or a publication that details how to tighten the gibs? I'd love to correspond with anyone who can help out a newbie, as the boss is not a machinist. Thanks.

Which model 14 x 40 do you have? The MS 1400 is different than the MS 1440E & MS1440S. I have manuals for both. MS1400 manual is PDF. MS1440E & S is in print. If you need the 1400 manual I can email it to you.

I have the MS 1600 which is pretty much identical to the MS 1400. If you have the MS 1400 I can probably answer any questions you have. If yours is the 1400, item 14 on page 12 of the manual is the feed reverse control. If you have the 1440 it is item 14 on page 14 of the manual.

The feed has a reversing knob. Are you turning it to go in the opposite direction?

Thanks for the quick response. BTW, our machine is a 1432, not a 1400. Sorry about that. I don't know about any 'reversing knob'. Where is it located? Do you mean the lever which moves like a steering-wheel-shifter on a car and has 3 positions (carriage, cross slide, threading)?

Back