What's new
What's new

HELP NEEDED! Unknown Lathe Type

BrendenCoblentz

Plastic
D5F7FE87-AC63-44FD-ABFE-A9C415D7F584.jpgI have this lathe in the shop I work at and none of us know what kind it is or how it works to it’s full abilities. I have picture I can send via txt. If you could private message me your number and I’ll send them over. It would be much appreciated! The main problem is that I cannot get my saddle to move.

You could also check to see if the carriage feed lever is engaged.
Some lathes also have a clamp or lock to clamp the carriage to the ways. You could look into this also.

These are the simplest things I can think of off hand without standing in front of it.
Google a lathe lever diagram and it should point you in the general diretion of where to look for these things.
All lathes are pretty much laid out the same.

Thumbnail is immediate fore runner of the earliest ATW - note NEITHER of the two shafts across face of bed are screws

If yours is similar, lets focus on apron controls - the apron hangs down from the saddle

Central knob engages feed - right tight engaged, left loose not engaged

Extreme right hand lever may select between long feeds and cross feeds

Lever up by cross slide engages half nuts on lead screw - which is out of sight between ways

Look down in there - if you don't see a big screw where the chips also fall, we are barking up the wrong tree

Good generic old lathe info here if needed:

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_2of2.pdf

Attachments

• D and E.jpg
    D and E.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 47
If you see a square headed bolt on top of the carriage, check to make sure it is loose. They often would put a lock bolt on the carriages. It could also be the levers that engage the feeds that are not allowing it to move. Once you figure it out, I would strongly recommend you find someone nearby to help you get started. Do some research on SAFE operation of a lathe and don't operate it while trapped in a corner with it. Don't let the size fool you, they can be dangerous to operate. Especially if you have little experience.

I would call it an engine lathe. Looks like it was designed to be driven by a flat belt. Possibly from an overhead line shaft in a factory. In the days before small electric motors were common. I would guess 1920 or earlier.
Bill D

Back