What's new
What's new

Help with this NMTB 40 spindle...

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
IMG_0675.jpg
I bought this new to me mill, Bridgeport clone, made in Taiwan in the 1980s, weights a ton. I have to move shop in order to use this machine (the landlord is allowing me to transfer my lease to a smaller but first floor space with access to 3 phase power, and it's a little cheaper). I have the mill moved to where that space is going to be (the landlord is walling it off and turning it into a space). I took the chuck out and it's NMTB 40, spindle is slightly rusted but I tested the runout and it looks fine.

IMG_0678.jpgIMG_0677.jpg

I don't know what type of collet this is, it is NOT ER40 or anything but rather some kind of a straight collet that is supposed to be standard "NMTB 40 collet" (in Taiwan we call it NT40).

I am trying to unscrew the collet so I can take the collet out because I need something that will hold something smaller than 32mm as that is the only collet inside. Can someone tell me what kind of collet this is and where can I get more?

Also the cap does NOT come off. When I try to unscrew it, it stops and wouldn't let me unscrew further.

View attachment 253339
I bought this new to me mill, Bridgeport clone, made in Taiwan in the 1980s, weights a ton. I have to move shop in order to use this machine (the landlord is allowing me to transfer my lease to a smaller but first floor space with access to 3 phase power, and it's a little cheaper). I have the mill moved to where that space is going to be (the landlord is walling it off and turning it into a space). I took the chuck out and it's NMTB 40, spindle is slightly rusted but I tested the runout and it looks fine.

View attachment 253337View attachment 253336

I don't know what type of collet this is, it is NOT ER40 or anything but rather some kind of a straight collet that is supposed to be standard "NMTB 40 collet" (in Taiwan we call it NT40).

I am trying to unscrew the collet so I can take the collet out because I need something that will hold something smaller than 32mm as that is the only collet inside. Can someone tell me what kind of collet this is and where can I get more?

Also the cap does NOT come off. When I try to unscrew it, it stops and wouldn't let me unscrew further.

Some collets stop and then you give it another push and it begins moving again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is a Master Collet designed to use straight reducer collets. We have a Nikken like that which came with our Cat40 machine and straight collets all the way down to 1/8”.

Thanks. It says “NT40 C32-90” on it so it takes C32 straight shank collet. I see NT40 ER40 collet chucks do you think I should go with that? I kinda liked ER40 because it holds tight and each collet has a clamping range of about 1mm so it can hold odd sized tools too. I saw it on Aliexpress

Back