What's new
What's new

Help nothing to do with machine work just saport equipent...Phil

Phil in Montana

Stainless
Last night some one cut my fence and stole my 853h bobcat in Missoula, mt. If any of you see a 853h for sell drop me a line. Most will be legit, but maybe I will get lucky...Thanks Phil... If this is not allowed just remove, I know there is a lot of member here and someone might just find my bobcat

I have a friend that had an older model civic that was well known for being easy to steal. Well it got stolen once and found intact mostly, just a joy ride. They pieced the ignition back together, but it no longer required a key. They added a hidden switch that had to be held while turning the ignition. It was broken into at least once more, but not driven.

I would think equipment like this would be a good application for such an approach. Maybe also add a “start” switch on the dash that triggers a super loud horn.

Good luck with search. Hopefully it was just a opportunist/junky that stole it and not a true pro. Makes the odds of recovery much higher.

If the dealer wants the serial number to make sure you get the correct part or before working on it do they check if that number is reported stolen? With the fancy online computer updates can the factory disable a stolen machine when it calls in for automatic update? If you insure a piece of such equipment does the insurer want a vin number like for a car. How about a loan to buy one?
Bill D
Bill D

Last night some one cut my fence and stole my 853h bobcat in Missoula, mt. If any of you see a 853h for sell drop me a line. Most will be legit, but maybe I will get lucky...Thanks Phil... If this is not allowed just remove, I know there is a lot of member here and someone might just find my bobcat

Man that sucks! Definitely report it to Bobcat. They require a ser# to buy parts. It is a long shot as it will most likely get parted or kept running on a shoe-string and ebay. But that, and watching Craigslist/FB-market are the best you can do. You can waste a lifetime watching for it though (chances are it is far away by now).

I feel for you man. I've been lucky that I haven't had to deal with any of this shit. But, I have more than one friend who has come out of where they were to find their DPF or CAT cut out from under their truck! It is pretty pathetic really!

Around here most equipment has GPS tracking. My 610 Bobcat has a hidden switch. Yes it is a 610! 40 years old, V4HD Wisconsin powered, er sorta powered, fairly wimpy engine. Power and Wisconsin, that's an oxymoron for sure.

That sucks- guys- if you own equipment with wheels or whatever- buy a tracker they are like $60.00 now and a years worth of tracking is about the same cost. Seems like a lot- until something happens.

Among other things I would contact the dealer you bought it from and report it stolen. Often times the parts department needs the serial number to order parts.

I had the misfortune many years ago of buying non functional Kohler generator from a private party. After inspecting it I thought I could repair it for a reasonable cost so I called the local Kohler dealer for parts. When I gave them the serial number it came up in their database as stolen. They contacted the police and the insurance company. Later that day an officer arrived, took several pictures, got a statement from me and left. Later in the week the insurance company called and sent out a representative. He also took pictures and asked several questions about when and where it was purchased.

In my case the insurance company didn't want it back since it was non functional. They had already reimbursed the original owner and declared the incident resolved. I signed a document stating that I was now the owner and it was no longer considered stolen property. The police removed it from their watch list and Kohler removed it from their stolen items database.

The main point is that equipment dealers often keep a database of stolen machinery and act when one happens to show up in their shop or when someone orders parts. It could take some time before it shows up, but a unique item like yours almost certainly will require parts or service sometime in the future. That may open an opportunity to recover it.

My friend Donny told me that the owner of his shop (a big name shop in making special cutting tools) bragged about hooking up to a backHoe tractor and taking it down to Tennessee. Yes stole the machine.

Thievery is the lowest form of crime, it should be punished harshly.

That's why they use to hang horse thieves in the Old West.

We need to get back to public capital punishment...would deter a lot of crime!

ToolCat

In pakastan, a Islamic country, the punishment for drunk driving use to be beheading. no repeat offenders there. No idea if they still do that or not.
Bill D

Back