What's new
What's new

Help with quick change tap holders.

Froneck

Titanium
I have a SPI (Nikken) quick change tap holder that's non reversible for spindles that reverse. Each holder accepts only the tap it's made for and factory adjusted for the torque required so that clutch will release and not break the tap. They can be adjusted if other torque is required. At one time I had the entire set from @4 to 1/2" (none smaller than #4 and larger than 1/2" were made) for the #1 size head. I'm missing a couple of the fractional sizes. Blitz, tapmatic, Kennametal and I'm sure others make a similar holder. I would like to complete the set, does anyone know if the other brand will fit? MSC no longer has them, not sure if they were discontinued.

This style is pretty much interchangeable. Ebay is probably your best bet. These were usually used in conjunction with compression/extension holders for the older machines that did not have precise coordinated spindle control.
They still work fine though. They are more expensive to make than the rigid holders, that's why you don't see them much in the new tool catalogs.

Thanks Regina; I use mine without moving the table, with the SPI quick change adapter in the spindle I can drill the hole, remove the chuck and use the holder in the quick change adapter. Works great. I don't change the torque setting that's supposed to be set to the correct torque limit for each tap size and on those I do change have a duplicate and not change one. Also the manual that came with the Tension/Compression head lists all the recommended torque setting.
I have been looking on ebay and plan to buy the cheapest used one I can find even if it's a duplicate to confirm fit.

This style is pretty much interchangeable.
Might not be. Nikken looks very similar but the dimensions are just different enough from the Bilz standard that only Nikken tap holders will fit in a Nikken tap chuck. I know this as I have some Nikken clutch type holders left over from auction goodies and none will fit in my Bilz chucks (no. 1 range)

Having said that maybe Nikken made them to the Bilz standard for the SPI label ?? All I know is Nikken labeled tap holders will not fit in a Bilz chuck. Why they did that is beyond me....maybe to get around original patents.

I guess I'll find out, purchased the cheapest Blitz on ebay I could find, When I get it I'll know if it fits and from what you say it will not! I'm looking for the #1 size tap holders, might you want to sell those "left overs"?

Being told the Blitz will fit I ordered the cheapest one on ebay I could find plus it was one I don't have so I could test the fit. 5/16" to fit size 1 holder so I'll have one to trade if you find those SPI or Nikken, I know those are the same.

Being told the Blitz will fit I ordered the cheapest one on ebay I could find plus it was one I don't have so I could test the fit. 5/16" to fit size 1 holder so I'll have one to trade if you find those SPI or Nikken, I know those are the same.
The Nikken holders were not in the Lista drawer they used to be in so all I can figure is I must have sold them years ago and forgot. But probably moot point as I did find a couple of newer Nikken BT 40 QC no. 1 size tap chucks in inventory and Bilz tap holders fit them perfectly. Apparently Nikken changed dimensions to Bilz standard when the patents ran out.

Thanks Milacron, I do see some Nikken holders on ebay listed something like Nikken/Blitz. I do have the 5/16" on the way, expected delivery posted is 3/10 so I should have it soon. When I get it I will give a test drive and report what I found.So far all the Nikken NIB I purchased on ebay fit perfectly so I guess I have the new version. I have a few doubles in the smaller sizes in case I want to change the torque setting I will have one that's not been changed. I do have a few in #4 tap size. I changed so I can use it with #3 tap because the shank is the same size. I did manage to pick up a few #1 size Nikken holders NIB cheap with Jacobs 33 mount, have one in my small Hendey with #3 morse taper Tail Stock, I might try to adapt one to fit my Moore Jig Borer but have no way to reverse the spindle.

Back