What's new
What's new

Help request: Boring bar inserts

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
I recently purchased and use a Winona Va Norman Boring Bar in my shop to bore small engine cylinders. The model is: CB1401. Soon I will be in need of more inserts for this machine. The company wants over $220 for a box of inserts and I am interested to see if anyone has found other sources of inserts for this machine at a reasonable price? The factory part number for the inserts is: 35-4318 WINONA REPLACEMENT CRBD INSERT. The inserts I have currently are:
Triangular
Relief Angle I believe is 5 or 7 degrees
Accuracy: ?
IC: The actual hole diameter is 5/32
Thickness: 3/32
Cylindrical hole with no countersink
No chip breaker
Single sided cutter

NOTE: The corners of the triangle have a very pronounced wiper edge.

Anyone using a Van Norman CB1401 or is much better than I am at insert geometry and ordering, I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Get yourself an MSC catalog to determine what insert you have, the nomenclature is explained very clearly in the insert section (e.g.TCGT221-AK), then go to ebay where you will find them for 10% of that price.

Insert chart

Looks like your basic shape might be TCGA? (boring inserts usually have higher clearance angles but you should check this, it could be 11*)

From there the numbers are ANSI (inch) or ISO (metric), ISO seems to be more common.

Measure the length of one side with calipers, a common boring size is 11mm.

3/32" thickness is ISO code 02.

Radius for boring tools is usually small, probably 0.004" so ISO 02.

So you might have a TCGA110202.

My favorite boring inserts are these Iscar TPGT110202-SP (super positive), they cut any material like budda:

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=1682&mapp=IS&app=28&GFSTYP=M

I've had great service from this Ebay seller (no affiliation):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/indexablec...ide|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71970

Slow Motion, Thanks for your input. I did do a significant bit of research prior to requesting help. I do appreciate the feedback though.

The problem i have is finding the proper triangle with the edges that look like the ones that came with my boring machine. As you can see from the pictures, there is a definite edge/cant/corner to each point on the triangle. I cant find any with similar characteristics. Honestly, I'm not sure what to even call it. Is that a wiper edge? Each side of the triangle is 9.5mm

Terry,

Your help was greatly appreciated. I saved the links and also am actively looking through the eBay link now to see if anything looks similar. He has a lot of items to choose from!

Attachments

• VC3.jpg
    VC3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 64
  • VC2.jpg
    VC2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 61
So, if your correct and I will be unable to find an exact match for this insert. Do I have to use that particular type of insert with the flat wiper edge in a boring machine to get a good surface? I bought this machine used, and these inserts came with it. So I don't know if these are factory or not. I have 2 speeds on the spindle, 168 or 254 rpm and infinite feed variability via a dial. So I have the ability to control some factors. Is anyone using other types of inserts? Like Terry mentioned above, he uses the TPGT 110202-SP for his boring. I looked up that insert, and it is too large compared to this insert I have.

[QUOTE
IC: The actual hole diameter is 5/32 QUOTE]

The IC (inscribed circle) is the circle that will fit inside the insert. Not the hole.
TECN 32R has the wiper but no hole.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, yet boring applications and their insert availability are as wide and varied as the companies that sell them. Hence the reason why I came to the location where most machinists belly up to the bar for a cold one. Someone out there either knows these particular inserts or knows from experience that I don't, and which one's I should use. I just need to bet Las Vegas that those guys are drinking and willing to share their knowledge.

Ralph P: The Keocera TTX 32R6001 PR1115 grade PVD certainly is similar. Looks a lot like many threading inserts-in that it has that wiper edger look, like my insert does. Thanks for the input!

I recently purchased and use a Winona Va Norman Boring Bar in my shop to bore small engine cylinders. The model is: CB1401. Soon I will be in need of more inserts for this machine. The company wants over $220 for a box of inserts and I am interested to see if anyone has found other sources of inserts for this machine at a reasonable price? The factory part number for the inserts is: 35-4318 WINONA REPLACEMENT CRBD INSERT. The inserts I have currently are:
Triangular
Relief Angle I believe is 5 or 7 degrees
Accuracy: ?
IC: The actual hole diameter is 5/32
Thickness: 3/32
Cylindrical hole with no countersink
No chip breaker
Single sided cutter

NOTE: The corners of the triangle have a very pronounced wiper edge.

Anyone using a Van Norman CB1401 or is much better than I am at insert geometry and ordering, I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Goodson shop supplies, should have them in stock and they will be the correct ones for your boring machine. They specialize in automotive machine shop supplies.

McClure Machine,

Thank you sir. I will contact them and see what they have available. I appreciate your input.

the insert holder doesn't look like anything special, other then my guess is to leave a perfect 90 degree edge at the end of its stroke, probably something to do with cylinder liners needing a lip at the bottom of a bore.
id find a different triangle boring insert holder. looks like a standard 1/2" square holder.

Back