What's new
What's new

Help with Reversible Motor Starter

Ox

Diamond
Wiring up a starter setup for a threading spindle.
Needs to go CW and latch 'till it gets to the front L/S.
Hits fwd switch and then spins CCW and latches until it hits the rear L/S and resets.

No PLC

I doo have a relay, but not sure if that is going to help?

I don't play with these too often, but when I doo - it would be more like a bridge crane pendant (momentary hold) or maybe PLC controlled. I robbed the starter set-up off of a transfer machine just now that I had set up with a PLC.

I doo this with air valves, but that is easy. Once switched - the spool stays detented.
Electric coils - not so much ...

So I played with it a little bit and I found that the center section here (the part labeled as 221) has continuity accrost the top two lugs AS WELL AS accrost the bottom two lugs - when relaxed. But when one side is pulled in, one or the other (upper or lower set) loses continuity.

That is about the opposite as I was expecting.
This is N/C, while I was expecting N/O.

So, what I have set up currently is two L/S's wired up in the N/C mode. This works fine for the most part - except the fact that there is no mechanical detent (or memory) to the "221" thingy.
Thus, as I was afraid of, if I cycle the power to the unit, it is a race to see which side latches in first, with no absolutes.

I would want it to start off in the CW mode if at all possible.

I was expecting that I would use the N/O (blue) wires to "start" the other side, but the "221 thingy" doesn't work the way that I expect/want it to. But I guess that is OK, other than the fact that I have no security as to which direction that it starts off.

Doo I need to get a "different # thingy"?
I would think that with a N/O "thingy" that I would use my blue (N/O) warrs from my L/S's to start the opposite side, and then it would latch in on it's own. I think that if I had it set up that way, that I could pirate some juice from the main machine START circuit to start my threading spindle starter in the right direction. I just don't see how I can doo that with a N/C "thingy".

Is there some other way to warr this that I have not thought of? (again - I am NO expert on these!)

I will try to make a long plate so that the rear L/S is held in much of the time, and that should take care of it, but still ....

I have googled and Ebay'd "Allen Bradley 221" thingy, but I don't get anything like this popping up. So I don't know ... wait ... I can see the back side of this thingy w/o taking it apart...199-MCA1_A

Yep - that pops up! But I still have no clue what the N/O version of this would be - if such a thing exists even...

Also note that this is not like a normal wiring of a machine tool, where you would hit the STOP button first. We can't coast here, I need to shift from one to the other swiftly.

EDIT:

Now it seems that maybe I just need to forget about the #221 thingy and use lugs #13 and #14 on each side to accomplish what I want done.

???

DSCN0931_zpsiafgehsl.jpg

DSCN0930_zpslq4anhtg.jpg

DSCN0928_zpstuuswbnq.jpg

DSCN0927_zpsfmhyj57j.jpg

---------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

GOT IT!

Went with the relay.
Not using the "thingy" at all now.
Tried going with just the #13/#14 lugs. It just would not start the opposite side as the supply hydro was gone too quickly. So not using those at all either.
That would have worked slick as snot if it were air-logic! :o

Dug out the relay as it is spring loaded and will always start off the cycle the same way.

Thanks for all the help guys!
I can always count on y'all to be Johnny's-on-the-spot!

;)

DSCN0932_zpskc9y0okj.jpg

DSCN0933_zpsckfzsm8v.jpg

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back