What's new
What's new

Help selecting a vertical Bridgeprt style mill

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I want to replace my old Bridgeport with a newer Bridgeport style mill, but I want a 48" to 50" bed and I want box ways on the wye axis. I don't care if the mill is variable speed or step pulley as I am likely to use a VFD anyway, and three phase is a plus. A DRO and power feed can be added at any time. I am looking for a mill in good to excellent condition as a used mill or refurbished mill.

What I need help with is IDing mill brands that are made like I have specified, and identifying rebuilders or dealers who might have mills in stock in my general vicinity.

Suggestions?

Take a look at Acer mills. Their larger knee mills have box ways for the Y axis and I believe their tables can be had in the size you're looking for. We have a couple of their smaller mills at work in our tool room and we don't hear any complaints. If you are able to find a new enough version, it might be an "e-mill" which comes with a VFD-controlled head already.

Acer, Acra, Kent, Victor, Webb, Supermax, Sharp and others all sell similar mills in various sizes, including 30 or 40 taper which are their largest machines. the 3hp R8 machines of the size you are looking for are more common on the used market. Condition is more important than brand here as all come from just a few factories. The Long Chang ( First ) machines are pretty decent. If you get lucky you might even find a lagun which if in good condition is a step up. Given the price of used Bridgeport, a used Taiwan machine is generally cheaper without really losing anything in the quality department. The Taiwan machines have been built for 40 years so there isn't much new technology unless you get a VFD machine vs a reeves drive or step pulley. Dave

Back