What's new
What's new

Help setting up vise on rotary table

Big Poser

Plastic
Hi All,

I picked up a 6" rotary table for my horizontal mill that I will be using for mitering tubes. The issue I'm having is that the T-slots on the rotary table won't allow the vise to be square to the mill. To make it all line up, I'd have to set my "0" to several other numbers on the rotary table rather than to the actual 0.

It's a Phase II 221-306 rotary table that has 4 T-slots for mounting.

I'm still very new to machining tools and am not sure just how to make this work as it should.

Thanks for the help and I apologize if it seems elementary.

Thanks all! Much appreciated. Looking back it probably seems like a very simple issue but this equipment is completely new to me. I'll end up moving the 0 point to where I need it.

I've run into another issue, and that is that the vise will hit the hand wheel as it is about 3/4" taller than the face of the table. Do they make spacers that I can essentially raise the face level so that it's taller than the hand wheel?

Usually any CNC machine allows for this issue as you can find how much the vise is from true center and then add a offset into the fourth axis. I prefer this method if possible.

I could go on and on yet this option should always be first. The suggestions presented are valid for sure only if the machine does not permit a offset at whatever degrees that is from your real zero.

Fire for effect.

Thanks all! Much appreciated. Looking back it probably seems like a very simple issue but this equipment is completely new to me. I'll end up moving the 0 point to where I need it.

I've run into another issue, and that is that the vise will hit the hand wheel as it is about 3/4" taller than the face of the table. Do they make spacers that I can essentially raise the face level so that it's taller than the hand wheel?

As far as I know there isn't anything commercially available as a "spacer" to raise your rotary table. That being said, you could simply grab a couple of chunks of aluminum, mild steel, cast iron, etc. and mill your own spacers. It's great to have a mill! ;)

-Ron

You could use 1/2/3 or 2/4/6 blocks as spacers. We use 2/4/6 blocks under the 4th's we run, when extra rotational clearance is needed.
Here is an example. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/85241081
Suburban would be the American made brand (assuming it still is, anyway)
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06378160

Back