What's new
What's new

HELP! thread gage removal

TheInspector

Plastic
I've been given the task of calibrating some of the Thread Gages at the shop where I work. I'm having trouble trying to remove the GO thread from a double-sided thread gage (pic1).
Normally on this type of handle, the tapered end of a special drift-punch (pic2) is used to remove the GO thread, then the reverse side of the punch us used for removal of th NO-GO thread.
My problem is that the back end of the GO thread doesn't extend into the handle far enough for the drift punch to hit it (pic3). Any suggestions? :confused: :scratchchin: :reading: :scratchchin: :confused:
MVC-007X.JPG

MVC-008X.JPG

MVC-009X.JPG

Thanks in advance,
TheInspector​

Drop a small ball bearing in through the side hole to take up the distance,* insert drift and hit;)

*A little grease will hold it in place.

Before I learned of the BB trick, I just set them under an incandescent light for a while.

Forrest's hot oil reminded me. Hot oil would certainly be quicker.

Solution

so, i was unable to find a ball-bearing of the proper size that I could pound on, but I cut the short end of an allen wrench down and used it in a similar way. no time for pics, sorry.
thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Slightly different word. Static + friction is stiction. It's more fun to make a new one for grease. Anyway.....don't get too serious here.

Inspector...you got the late shift, eh? Glad you found something that worked.

Back