What's new
What's new

Help With Thread Identification

ORAGRAG

Aluminum
I am restoring a vintage tool makers lift table and has a damaged worm gear. Would someone know of a resource that I could use to identify the profile/thread type. Guessing one of you can identify it just from the photo.

Attachments

• gear profile.jpg
    gear profile.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 191
What's the included angle between the flanks of the threads?
What the lead (pitch) between successive turns of the threads?

With that info, we might have a faint prayer of identifying the thread form. It's entirely possible that it's custom for that very specific application, to work with exactly those helical gears, and no other mating gears were ever designed or produced.

Some context would also be helpful. What is the brand/make? Where was this designed? USA? Germany? Italy? China?

I gotta say that anyone who can tell the difference between 60 degree pressure angle and 55 degree pressure angle, or between ACME and metric trapezoidal rack form, from a small photo with neither scale reference nor indication of camera focal length is doing waaaaay better than I am.

L. Vanice beat me to it but yes. Don't over think this. It is a low speed application and a one off project. Grind a form tool to match the thread and go for it. Just pay close attention to your back clearance on the tool which can be an issue with this type of thread. Just keep grinding and checking until the tool fits the old thread.

Back