What's new
What's new

Help Wanted

Bob0710

Plastic
I am new to operating machine tools and am looking for a retired shop/manual arts teacher or retired master machinist in the Marion County, Florida area to show me the ropes. I just purchased a Hendey 14x30 lathe and a Bridgeport Series 1 variable speed mill. I can probably figure out how to run them myself, but I think some professional instruction would be helpful to cut down on the learning curve and to help prevent me from making some potentially expensive mistakes. Might help to preserve some valuable (at least to me) body parts as well. So, if you are a guy (or gal) who fits the description and would like to make some extra dough, please reply and I will get in touch with you. Thanks.

They like to close threads here for having a non descriptive title it seems, so if it does get closed post again.

Put need help learning manual mill and lathe in the title.

Thank you for the info. If the Moderators review the post and think the title is misleading, I would appreciate it if they would just change it to something better rather than sending it to the round file.

Consider taking a couple of community college courses, they'll get you started safely.

I would, but they no longer offer that option. There is a track for CNC programmers, but nothing on general machine work. Marion County is a retirement haven, but there is little heavy industry. I guess the thought is that what there is needs CNC programmers more than machinists.

You're about 4hrs away from me, but if nothing comes up, I may be convinced to make a day trip some weekend and show you what I can.

I'm neither retired, nor a master anything.... But I can cut metal good.

You're about 4hrs away from me, but if nothing comes up, I may be convinced to make a day trip some weekend and show you what I can.

I'm neither retired, nor a master anything.... But I can cut metal good.

Thanks! Four hours is a pretty long drive and I don't want to inconvenience you unnecessarily. Lets see what happens, and if no locals bite, I'll be in touch. Really appreciate your offer!

It is going to be awhile before I'm ready to go. The shop has to be finished and I've got to get a rotary phase converter for the lathe and mill and get it wired in. Right now, everything is in storage awaiting a CO.

Too bad you aren't close to Albuquerque. I miss the teaching machining at the local high school metal shop. The Covid mess has stopped the volunteer work. :-)
...lewie...

Poor title but a great idea. I have a fellow who wants me to come to show him the ropes on surface grinding...He is a distance away (about 50-60 miles) but I would love to do it if I could find the time.

Since you're waiting to get your equipment set up, maybe you should expand your search to people who will give you some instruction in their shops.

That puts the travel burden on you as well, but it might lower their fee.

Since you're waiting to get your equipment set up, maybe you should expand your search to people who will give you some instruction in their shops.

That puts the travel burden on you as well, but it might lower their fee.

That's a great idea and I will probably do that if I can't find anyone interested in coming to the shop. Probably any Bridgeport Series 1 variable speed mill would work to learn on, but the Hendey is configured somewhat uniquely for threading and I'd really like to learn how to do it using my machine.

Poor title but a great idea. I have a fellow who wants me to come to show him the ropes on surface grinding...He is a distance away (about 50-60 miles) but I would love to do it if I could find the time.

Thanks! I need to protect my fingers and my investment, so it just seems to make good sense to get a little instruction before I charge off and do irreversible harm to my body or the machines.

sorry, but i feel its a waste of time and effort to have somebody show you machining in one or two afternoons. you will never remember what he did and even if you do you wont remember why he did it for sure. machining is best learned by doing and reflecting on whats happenning (or isnt). there are so many good videos around. just dont forget the machine has a malicious set of mind and always wants to grab you. i will happen when you least expect it.

sorry, but i feel its a waste of time and effort to have somebody show you machining in one or two afternoons. you will never remember what he did and even if you do you wont remember why he did it for sure. machining is best learned by doing and reflecting on whats happenning (or isnt). there are so many good videos around. just dont forget the machine has a malicious set of mind and always wants to grab you. i will happen when you least expect it.

I agree with this for the most part, the closest I got to formal training was the shop manager in the mechanical engineering lab. I would ask him tons of questions, but I would almost invariably get one of two answers:

"Try it and see what it does" / "Check your speed and feed, and see what it does"

"I wouldn't do that if I were you"

The second response is what I got if I had proposed something way out of whack or unsafe. Otherwise, he mostly forced me into leaning on my own through trial and error. It was nice to have the sanity check to go to, but once you know what all the levers do, you should be able to manage on your own. If it sounds bad, it is bad, and if it looks or feels unsafe, it is!

Back