What's new
What's new

Help wiring Haas VF2 transformer.

dwilley

Plastic
I recently purchased a 98 Haas VF2 and I am having trouble wiring it. I am running a PL-40 40hp North America phase converter. I had questions about the phase converter output voltages being a little to high so I called the phase converter manufacturer. I was getting 263 VAC from T1-T3. They told me to swap the idler motor around and find the best voltage. The best I got was T1-T2 240VAC, T1-T3 245VAC, and T2-T3 258 VAC unloaded. They said that would work fine. The machine can take up to 260VAC. The problem I am having now is wiring the main T1 transformer. The manual reads like I should pick one of the 4 taps for my voltage. The machine came wired to the 243-227V tap. My question is where are the wires going to the upper left terminal board go. The manual shows them on the far left highest voltage tap on the bottom side. They were tied to the bottom side of the 243-227V tap which is directly connecting it to the main contactor. Is this right? The thing that made me question this is that I measured pins 2 to 3 on the servo vector drive and measured 370VDC. The manual says it should be 310 to 360VDC. Problem? I have ran the machine a little and it runs fine, no voltage alarms. But I am worried that this higher voltage will damage the drive if left that way. I moved the wires to the highest voltage tap (see picture) and am now getting 367VDC. The transformer says to move the 3 wires until the 115VAC terminals (red wires on bottom left terminal strip) read 115 to 125VAC. I have good voltage there. Does anyone know how the T1 transformer should be wired? Any help is appreciated. The 1993 Haas manual talks about this starting on page 69. Thanks

T1 Transformer.jpg
Haas Manual.jpg

I called Haas and sent them the pictures and they think I have it wired correctly. What doesn't seem right is that the 3 phase from the main contactor isn't going through the transformer. Its just used as a tie point to send the raw 3 phase to the spindle drive and to make the 120 VAC phase to phase voltage for the single phase loads, like solenoids and oil pumps etc. I thought it would knock down the 240 - 260 VAC I am seeing to 230VAC to the spindle drive to get a good nominal voltage.

Back