What's new
What's new

Help Wiring Worthington All Speed Drive

mvernon

Plastic
Hello
I just purchased a Sheldon WS-56P Lathe. I installed a VFD and that is working great. Now I need to wire the Worthington All Speed Drive for 120v. However, nothing is labeled. Tried checking continuity for ground and got NADA. Ideas?

I’d join the Sheldon group on yahoo. The Klockler Moeller motor that actuates the variable pitch pulleys is dc voltage. There should be a step down transformer for the 110v single phase that will go to a bridge rectifier for the dc.I have a wm56p that is actually an all metric lathe with metric leadscrew’s dials etc. supposedly a one of speacial order from GM. Never found the need to go with a vfd since I run it off a rotary converter. You get full motor hp at all speeds. In the files section on the yahoo group you may find a manual for it.
Z

Well you got me thinking as I had some wiring issues with mine when I got it close to 10 years ago. It had a 480v 3p only motor which I changed to a standard dual voltage 3p motor.John Knox had helped me sort the rest of it but it was over the phone so I don’t have any documentation.

Did a quick look over at the Sheldon group and there is quite a bit of info on the W series lathes and vfd’s. While poking around I see the gear motor actuating the wariable pitch pulleys may actually be 110v. I probably have the manufacture name wrong too. I must have recalled the dc part as there is a small dc generator for the tach signal.

Z

Thanks for the info, Z! I tried to join the Sheldon Group but have had no response after 6 days.
It does seem like its 120v. I just want to make sure I wire it up properly as I hear they really don't have a replacement. Jefferson.jpg

Matt

I have a Sheldon WM-56P lathe with the gear motor to change the variable pitch sheaves on the Worthington Drive. It's a 120 volt motor with a gear reducer that reduces the output shaft speed to 1 rpm. There are several pictures of the drive and gear motor on the Sheldon and Sheldon 2 sites. There are a number of additional pictures of the drive rebuild I tried to post on several occasions. For some reason the site always says they have been uploaded, but none ever appear online.

I have been running my 2 hp machine off a static converter for several years. I do have a 15 hp rotary converter I intended to install late last year, but so far the project is still on the back burner. Mine has the original 220/440 dual voltage 3 phase wiring with Furnas controls. It's wired to run on 220. All the controls are run on 1 leg of the 220 except for the gear motor. It has a separate step down transformer.

Here are some pictures of the wiring schematic inside the panel.IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0235.jpg

I also have several pictures of the gear motor and limit switches. I'll make another post in a few minutes since the limit is 5 pictures per post.

Here are some pictures of the speed limit switches, the end of the lathe with the electrical panel, step down transformer, and static phase converter:

IMG_0698.jpgIMG_0403.jpgIMG_0401.jpg

I do have additional pictures of the Worthington drive. I did remove the drive a couple years ago and replaced several of the bearings. I documented the process and attempted to put the pictures on the Sheldon Websites. Not all of them are out there so if this is the drive you have, and need more pictures I might have some of interest.

As an FYI the Furnas contactors on my machine were starting to get tires when I purchased the machine. It's still working properly, but replacement parts are hard to come by and extremely expensive. To that end I have purchased a complete Allen Bradley (ALLEN BRADLEY FULL VOLTAGE REVERSING CONTROLLER STARTER 505-BAB-A2F A2FA NEMA 1) panel for installation when the time comes.

Back