What's new
What's new

din or jis or ?? flange head screws

gustafson

Diamond
So, stupid thing really

I have some bolts I am replacing on my car and would like them to remain the same

buy 6mm metric flange head bolts locally and they are [probably] DIN 6921 with a 10 mm head

The bolts that come out have an 8mm head. They were UK sourced originally, and UK sourced stainless ones come in with 10mm heads

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, but you get used to knowing what wrench to grab for a given job

I cannot find what the correct ones would be called.

For lack of a specification....

The dealer?

Hate to suggest it but if its just a few bolts maybe it will work. I assume you have tried McMaster.

First the quest is for information

Second, the dealer doesn't sell them in stainless

Third, did I mention?

The new McMaster Carr Catalog is here, I'm somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I checked mcmaster, they only have the large head and not in stainless

What length do you need? How many?
8mm hex head with a flange is common on a motorcycle that I make parts for. I have a bunch, plated and black oxide.

What length do you need? How many?
8mm hex head with a flange is common on a motorcycle that I make parts for. I have a bunch, plated and black oxide.

I feel for the OP. I have run into the same problem with Buell motorcycles. The engine case screws of the 1125/1190 models also use these type screws. In addition the flange and hex head drive, they also incorporate Torx drive. These too are not available anywhere that I am aware of. I would really like to find a source in SS.

They are neither DIN nor JIS. JIS and DIN are the same up to M6, above that the JIS have smaller heads.
Must be a special...

They are neither DIN nor JIS. JIS and DIN are the same up to M6, above that the JIS have smaller heads.
Must be a special...

Not a special, just not sure the designation.

just searched some more

IFI 536 seems to be a standard for 'small wrench' flange heads

what is IFI?

Appears to be :

IFI 536 / ISO 4162

Consider the possibility that they didn't use stainless from the factory for an actual reason (galvanic corrosion, strength, whatever). Do you really need stainless?

I would expect to grab a 10mm wrench or socket for an M6 thread. An 8mm hex head would definitely be a special and I would expect it to be a high grade fastener, not any stainless alloy known to mankind.

Consider the possibility that they didn't use stainless from the factory for an actual reason (galvanic corrosion, strength, whatever). Do you really need stainless?

For engine case screws, yes, where specific strength is not an issue. Engine cases are usually cast aluminum and sometimes magnesium. In most cases cadmium plated screws are used for cost reasons, but cadmium screws in aluminum cases are an electrolysis case just waiting to happen, in the presence of water. However, in both cases, cadmium plated or 18-8 SS. all screws should be removed and anti-seize applied to the threads.

galvanic corrosion outside of saltwater boats is simply not an issue

over and over and over I see this rambling

please stop

I would expect to grab a 10mm wrench or socket for an M6 thread. An 8mm hex head would definitely be a special and I would expect it to be a high grade fastener, not any stainless alloy known to mankind.

except that a whole series of bolt on this vehicle are this style, so one would not expect to see a a 10mm head, when they are all 8mm. I assume an engineer specified them because of tight quarters, but that is just a guess. There are whole series of them on the vehicle. Mostly holding on brackets and the like.

If you will see, I have done further research and answered my own question.

I can order them from China any day I want, the question was about the information, so that going forward I would have the ability to find them when I wanted them

galvanic corrosion outside of saltwater boats is simply not an issue

over and over and over I see this rambling

please stop

Are you trying to insult me with this rambling shit? If you worked on many motorcycles, you would know all about frozen case screws due to galvanic corrosion. It is common. Please refer to the Periodic Table of Elements and do your homework. Google is your friend.

Are you trying to insult me with this rambling shit? If you worked on many motorcycles, you would know all about frozen case screws due to galvanic corrosion. It is common. Please refer to the Periodic Table of Elements and do your homework. Google is your friend.

Please do you actual homework and throw away scientific tables

Galvanic corrosion certainly happens, but stainless screws in aluminum, galvy, or steel are not a problem when they are not in a marine environment

all those frozen screws in motorcyles: not stainless.

All the trim screws in the aluminum parts in my car for the last 35 years and 100k miles: stainless
amount of aluminum corrosion: not detectable.

In a vehicle, it is my experience over 40 years and hundreds of thousands of miles that mild steel screws will rot away to uselessness long before a stainless screw will cause any damage to an aluminum or other metal part.

aluminum screws in a stainless plate? poof gone

try reading this:

http://www.worldstainless.org/Files/issf/non-image-files/PDF/Euro_Inox/Contact_with_Other_EN.pdf

page 11

please people, stop quoting science that you do not understand

Please do you actual homework and throw away scientific tables

Galvanic corrosion certainly happens, but stainless screws in aluminum, galvy, or steel are not a problem when they are not in a marine environment

all those frozen screws in motorcyles: not stainless.

All the trim screws in the aluminum parts in my car for the last 35 years and 100k miles: stainless

In a vehicle, it is my experience over 40 years and hundreds of thousands of miles that mild steel screws will rot away to uselessness long before a stainless screw will cause any damage to an aluminum or other metal part.

aluminum screws in a stainless plate? poof gone

try reading this:

http://www.worldstainless.org/Files/issf/non-image-files/PDF/Euro_Inox/Contact_with_Other_EN.pdf

page 11

please people, stop quoting science that you do not understand

Insulting does not make you smarter. It just makes you rude. Please read page 3 of your reference. It is well explained. Water, even fresh water is an electrolyte. So not only will the aluminum go away through galvanic action, water that does not circulate can become oxygen depleted and eventually cause crevis corrosion of the stainless fastener. So, it is imperative that an anti seize compound is applied to the threads, as it helps to prevent the intrusion of water.

Insulting does not make you smarter. It just makes you rude. Please read page 3 of your reference. It is well explained. Water, even fresh water is an electrolyte. So not only will the aluminum go away through galvanic action, water that does not circulate can become oxygen depleted and eventually cause crevis corrosion of the stainless fastener. So, it is imperative that an anti seize compound is applied to the threads, as it helps to prevent the intrusion of water.

read the page I specified

>>>
Typical examples can be found when stainless fasteners are used on aluminum or galvanized carbon steel components. Two practical applications are shown in fig 8. Even in corrosive conditions, this material causes virtually no galvanic corrosion<<<

telling you to do research is not insulting, it is telling you to do research

you responded initially to a response to another poster, as if I had personally called you out, so, seems you are looking for things to be insulted about

Less than 3000 miles a year? Is that really an applicable data point?

Anyways no need for the blown gasket, I just see people desperate to switch to stainless without ever considering why the fastener wasn't stainless in the first place, and figured I'd point that out.

Less than 3000 miles a year? Is that really an applicable data point?

Anyways no need for the blown gasket, I just see people desperate to switch to stainless without ever considering why the fastener wasn't stainless in the first place, and figured I'd point that out.

It is an applicable data point, as are all my other projects and cars, and vehicles and other devices that mix these materials routinely.

The reason it wasn't stainless is cost, if you are building thousands of cars, hardware costs matter, repairing one, not so much

If you think that is a blown gasket, you aint been on the internet much

Back