What's new
What's new

Herbert 2 Senior Lathe

tjs42

Hot Rolled
Anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with one of these machine? This one is in very nice shape(ways show almost no wear and it is tight) and has quite a few acc with it but it has a problem with the speed selector and the turret will not automatically index when moved to the rear. The speed selector has 4 postions with 6 speeds at each postion(24 total speeds). It will only run in one speed at each of the selector postions. It has two electric switches marked + & - which appear to corespond to a +&- on the speed shift lever. When either of these are pressed nothing happens regarding speed change. This machine take collets to 1&1/2 inches. Any information would be appreciated and would I be glad to call and discuss if you don't want to take the time to write things down. Anyone have a manual? Thanks for any help.

I had one many years ago...my first turret lathe in fact. Loved the machine...can't remember now why I sold it...(I have some vague recollection of a new project needing power feed on the cross slide and buying a Warner and Swasey no. 3 instead)

Hope you got a bucket full of collets. Somehow I ended up with probably 80 or so of those collets years later and end up selling them on eBay for almost nothing...like a dollar each !

Mine worked perfectly so I don't have any insights as to what might be wrong with yours, other than re electrical problems to check for stuck or worn out limit switches in the selector drum. Should be plently of manuals floating around the UK for them...esp in the Coventry area.

Seems like mine had a six speed motor...which I have never seen before or since on any other machine...darn motor was HUGE for it's HP...all those windings for the different speeds I guess.

I seem to remember that some of the Herberts had a knob on the side of the turret slide which when pushed in stopped the turret indexing.Certainly the 2D was like this not sure about the Senior.
The other problem is electrical and you should be able to get a drawing for it.I`m currently waiting on an electrical drawing for a No4 pre-op coming.
Mark.

Oops...Mark's mention of 2D reminds me that is what mine was. Later I owned a Herbert no. 4 Senior Preoptive and I think that was my only "Senior" machine.

Mark, what is the difference in the 2D and 2 Senior ?

Don & Mark, thanks for the responses. Regarding the electrical, Don your saying your motor had six speeds would indicate that this one has the same set up since that would give you the speeds shown on the speed dial. Also it is huge in size for a 5HP motor, looks more like a 15 hp american motor. Mark, can you tell me where I can get Hurbert manuals?

Don,the 2D is a small manually operated capstan/turret lathe with power feed on the turret only,it has 16 speeds achieved with a multi speed motor and a two speed gearbox.All speeds/gears can be changed while on the move.Availabl with various chucks and collets including an air operated collet chuck which makes it ideal for second opping.About 1.5" up the spindle and quite a small footprint.Very handy machines and unfortunately worth nothing nowadays.
The No4 pre-op on the other hand has a two speed motor and a preselect gearbox which also allows speed changes without stopping.Power feeds all ways and at least 2.5" up the spindle and about six times the size of a 2D.
Both very good reliable machines which are still used in a lot of factories.
TJS,manuals,drawings and spares are available from the owners of Herbert Machines.They are BSA Machine Tools who are very much alive in Birmingham,England.They have Herbert and Churchill agents in the States and you will find them cheaper than most of the guys selling manuals,apart of course from my mate Alec at Budget Machinery.
BSA`s website and contact info is www.bsamachinetools.co.uk
Mark.

Uh, Mark...I asked the difference in a 2D and a 2 Senior. Since I owned a 2D and a 4 Senior I'm well aware of how those two are different !

I loved my Herbert no. 4 PreOpt as well...beautiful machine. Automatic transmission and the turret was combination ram type and saddle type...so you had the indexing speed of a ram type turret but with the rigidity/accuracy of a saddle type.

Re 16 speeds on the 2D, are you sure ? If so, that would mean it had an eight speed motor ! :eek:

Mark, thank you for the information! I have send BSA an email regarding obtaining manuals and electrical schematics. Aboard_Episoln, thanks for the infor on the manuals. Unfortunately none of them were the one for this machine.

Sorry Don,gave myself a slap.Will now have to walk over to the 2D in the morning and see where it gets its 16 speeds from,but you`re probably right about the eight speed motor as it is definitely a hi lo gearbox.I think Herbert made their own motors,designed to switch speeds and direction every few seconds twenty four hours a day and never burn out.The Herbert geared head drills which came in banks of 1,2,3,4 and 6 ran in car factories,aerospace etc for ever.I priced a new one about ten years ago.No 3 morse,8 speeds and power feed.Throat 6.5",table about 14" square.Cost £12000/$21000.
Mark.

Back