Herbert No.4 Senior non-preoptive / general capstan lathe advice - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tested the stops today, most are working well enough - except the carriage stop which I don't want to force.

I'll have a look on the apron for a drain plug tomorrow.

To Edwin, the capstan is sufficiently useful.. luckily we also rarely make more than 50-100 parts in a run, so it's still the most fun machine. The cnc's have their uses but 20 minutes setting the capstan up, a lot of that spent digging through disused tooling, then getting going for an afternoon, maybe a bit of the next morning, to produce plenty of bits we need.. OTOH, we've live tooling on one of the cnc's and it also gets used for some slotting - all the machines have strengths..
    The Herbert has inspired me to finally get round to making a spacer to fit a Hardinge BB57 turret on my own BB59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The IME carriage apron was usually the one full of shit and not working etc etc - as it's closest (like often underneath) to the workpiece and so coolant flow.

3. Likes J Grainger liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    The IME carriage apron was usually the one full of shit and not working etc etc - as it's closest (like often underneath) to the workpiece and so coolant flow.
    ...and yet another reason to ditch water based coolant and run oil...

5. Likes J Grainger, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll see if the lathe will be used more in future.. if so then I'll see whether there's time to disassemble the apron.. we can do most things if only requiring time rather than money.

Oil instead of water-based coolant is a great idea but I'd rather not for now. It's mostly collet work but oil-based is another level of mess on an unenclosed machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Yes you're right. The coolant will get in along the keyway in the feed shaft that runs through the apron. Even with a specially shaped seal like " Herbert's " provided it'll get in eventually. Draining the sump on a regular basis ( say every 6 months ) is the only way to deal with it.
    On one of the machines I used to repair pretty often the operator insisted on using flood coolant all the time. It kept me in work.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Grainger View Post
    I'll see if the lathe will be used more in future.. if so then I'll see whether there's time to disassemble the apron.. we can do most things if only requiring time rather than money.

Oil instead of water-based coolant is a great idea but I'd rather not for now. It's mostly collet work but oil-based is another level of mess on an unenclosed machine.
    Why would slinging nasty "petri dish" coolant be any less than slinging oil ?

As discussed last week, movable (use magnets) shields to keep the splash contained to the trough.